Maria Pallante, Register of Copyrights
|12th Register of Copyrights|
January 1, 2011
|Preceded by||Marybeth Peters|
|Born||February 5, 1964|
|Alma mater||George Washington University Law School (J.D.), Misericordia University|
Maria A. Pallante (born February 5, 1964) is an American attorney who is the 12th United States Register of Copyrights. She was appointed Acting Register effective January 1, 2011, succeeding Marybeth Peters, who retired effective December 31, 2010. On June 1, 2011, she was permanently appointed to the position.
Prior to her appointment, Pallante had served in the Copyright Office as Associate Register for Policy and International Affairs (2008–2010); Deputy General Counsel (2007–2008); and Policy Advisor (1996–1997).
Aside from working for the Copyright Office, Pallante has been intellectual property counsel for the Guggenheim Museums (1999-2007), Executive Director of the National Writers Union (1993-1995), and Assistant Director of the Authors Guild (1991-1993).
Shortly after becoming the Acting Register of Copyrights, Pallante purposed an ambitious plan to reinvent and update copyright law and move the Copyright Office into the 21st century. In her paper, titled The Next Great Copyright Act she states in part "it is difficult to see how a twenty-first century copyright law could function well without a twenty-first century agency”. 
- "Pallante, Maria A., 1964-", Public Catalog (United States Copyright Office)
- "Maria Pallante Appointed Acting Register of Copyrights". News from the Library of Congress. Library of Congress. 2010-12-17. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "Maria Pallante Appointed 12th Register of Copyrights". News from the Library of Congress. Library of Congress. 2011-06-01. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "Maria Pallante, Acting Register of Copyrights, Biographical Information". U.S. Copyright Office. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- Pallante, Maria. "The Next Great Copyright Act" (PDF). Copryright.gov. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- "Copyright Society's Eleventh Christopher A. Meyer Memorial Lecture, Guest Speaker Maria Pallante". Copyright Alliance. November 20, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
Drafts of a newly revised edition of the Compendium of Copyright Office Practices is expected to be made available to the public sometime in January 2014 according to remarks made by the current Register of Copyrights, Maria Pallante
|Register of Copyrights
2011 – present
|This biography of a person who has held a non-elected position in the Federal government of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Library of Congress article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|