Maria by Callas
|Maria by Callas|
|Directed by||Tom Volf|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Classics (US)|
|Language||English, French, Italian|
This article needs an improved plot summary. (December 2018)
The film depicts the life and work of opera singer Maria Callas in her own words by using her interviews, letters, and performances to tell her story. Told through performances, TV interviews, home movies, family photographs, private letters and unpublished memoirs—nearly all of which have never been shown to the public—the film reveals the essence of an extraordinary woman who rose from humble beginnings in New York City to become a glamorous international superstar and one of the greatest artists of all time. Her letters and unpublished memoirs are read by opera singer Joyce DiDonato.
Maria by Callas premiered at the Rome Film Festival and the La Baule Film & Score Festival in November 2017. The film had a release in France on December 13, 2017. The film had a limited release in the United States on November 2, 2018.
- "Maria by Callas". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- "Maria By Callas: The Legendary Opera Singer's Life In Her Own Words". WBUR. 2018-12-11. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- Christopher Purdy (2018-12-14). "Maria by Callas Documentary Tells Soprano's Story in Her Own Words". WOSA. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- "Maria by Callas Director Says Film Objectively Depicts Opera Singer" by Ariston Anderson, The Hollywood Reporter, 3 November 2017
- Maria by Callas, press kit, p. 16, Sony Pictures Classic
- Ben Kenigsberg (2018-11-01). "Review: Demystifying a Diva in Maria by Callas". The New York Times. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- Dave White (2018-11-02). "Maria by Callas Film Review: Opera Legend Maria Callas' Life, Told in Her Own Words". The Wrap. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- Mick LaSalle (2018-11-08). "New Maria Callas documentary is a treat for opera diva's devotees". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- "Maria by Callas". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2018-12-13.