The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box
|The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jonathan Newman|
|Based on||Mariah Mundi|
by G. P. Taylor
|Music by||Fernando Velázquez|
|Edited by||David Gallart|
The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box is a 2014 fantasy adventure film directed by Jonathan Newman and starring Aneurin Barnard as the protagonist, Mariah Mundi. It also stars Michael Sheen, Sam Neill, Lena Headey, Ioan Gruffudd, Keeley Hawes, and Tristan Gemmill. It was written by Christian Taylor and Matthew Huffman, and is based on the novel Mariah Mundi by G. P. Taylor.
Mariah Mundi has no choice but to unite with the enigmatic Will Charity when his family is kidnapped by an unknown enemy. Their adventure leads them to the mysterious and majestic Prince Regent, a huge steam-powered hotel on a small island at the furthest reach of the Empire. Mariah, with the help of Sacha, must unravel the secrets of the island to find the truth behind the disappearance of his family, and prevent Otto Luger from getting his hands on the mystical and powerful Midas Box.
At the end, Will leaves to search for the boys’ parents, who are still missing. He promises to return for Mariah. A mid-credits scene reveals that their mother has been taken to Egypt by the villain Gormenberg—her husband, the boys’ father.
- Michael Sheen as Captain Will Charity - The character Captain Jack Charity, (as it appears in the original G. P. Taylor novel) is reported to be in part inspired by the restaurant owning adventurer and founder of Heroes Welcome UK, Major (Ret) John Senior MBE TD
- Sam Neill as Otto Luger
- Lena Headey as Monica
- Mella Carron as Sacha
- Ioan Gruffudd as Charles Mundi
- Keeley Hawes as Catherine Mundi
- Aneurin Barnard as Mariah Mundi
- Tristan Gemmill as Isambard Black
- Daniel Wilde as Cleavy
- Xavier Atkins as Felix Mundi
- Vincenzo Pellegrino as Grendel
- Oliver Stark as Glocky
- Ian Reddington as Ratchit
- Ross O'Hennessy as Team Member
- Paul Lavers as Mr Dunne
- Brian Nickels as Grimm
Filming took place in sound stages and locations throughout the South West of England including St Michael's Mount, Bristol, Bath, Charlestown Harbour, Kidderminster Town railway station, and Lacock Abbey.
On Rotten Tomatoes, The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box has a 'rotten' score of 20%, an average rating of 4.95/10, based on 15 reviews. Dennis Harvey of Variety found the film, 'formulaic' and summed it up as, 'an OK time-filler for undiscriminating younger audiences, providing some hope that future developments might yield greater payoffs.' Indiewire deemed the film 'dull', citing poor direction and writing, but praising Headey. The Hollywood Reporter praised the production values, but saw it as a 'stillborn attempt' to start a film franchise.
- "Matthew Huffman". IMDb. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Mariah Mundi - Cast announcement". Variety article. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "'Captain Charity' in film debut". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Although it was reported on Deadline in October 2012 that a sequel had been approved, as of March 2020 there is no news about the second film on Taylor’s website.
- "Mariah Mundi - Team Set". Variety article. 8 February 2012. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Mariah Mundi - Hollywood comes to town". This is Cornwall article. 3 May 2012. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "THE ADVENTURER: THE CURSE OF THE MIDAS BOX". rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 2019-11-09.