Marian Partington (born 21 February 1948) is an English writer, and the sister of Lucy Partington, who was abducted by Fred and Rosemary West on 27 December 1973 and murdered by them in the final days of 1973 or the first days of 1974. In May 2012 she wrote about the impact of Lucy’s life, disappearance and death in her memoir, If You Sit Very Still. The book builds on Salvaging the Sacred, an essay written by Marian and published in The Guardian Weekend in May 1996. The essay inspired a play, by Bryony Lavery and a feature film, by Juliet McKoen, both entitled Frozen.
In 2004, Partington’s story was featured in The F Word exhibition; The Forgiveness Project's exhibition which explores forgiveness in the face of atrocity.
She works as a storyteller, in schools and prisons, for The Forgiveness Project, a charitable organisation which explores forgiveness, reconciliation and conflict resolution through real-life human experience. Partington has forgiven one of her sisters killers, Rosemary West, but she did not reply and got the prison where she is serving life to tell Partington she doesn't want her to write again. In contrast though, Partington exchanges Christmas cards with one of Fred West's daughters, and West's younger brother got in touch when she wrote to him, saying he hoped something good could come out of all this evil.
- Marian Partington, Salvaging the Sacred: Lucy, My Sister, originally published in The Guardian Weekend, 18 May 1996 and reissued by Quaker Books, 2004
- http://theforgivenessproject.com/stories/marian-partington-england/ retrieved 25 April 2012
- Partington, Marian (2012). If You Sit Very Still. Vala Publishing Co-operative. ISBN 978-1-908363-02-2.
- If You Sit Very Still, by Marian Partington
- The Forgiveness Project
- Vala Publishing Cooperative
- Review of If You Sit Very Still in The Guardian, 04/05/2012
- Marian Partington speaking on the BBC World Service 21/05/2012
- Sentimentalizing Serial Murder, Theodore Dalrymple, City Journal, 2012/22/4
- Article on BBC Gloucester News, 14/05/2012
- Marian Partington speaking on BBC Radio 4's Midweek, 16/04/2013
- Review of If You Sit Very Still in the Sunday Express, 03/06/2012
- Review of If You Sit Very Still in the Oxford Times, 19/06/2012
- Interview on BBC Radio Scotland, 01/07/2012
- Marian Partington speaking on BBC Radio Ulster
- Rowan Williams cites If You Sit Very Still by Marian Partington as one of his books of the year in the Times Literary Supplement