Mariana Griswold Van Rensselaer
|Mariana Alley Griswold Van Rensselaer|
|Born||Mariana Alley Griswold
February 21, 1851
New York City
|Died||January 20, 1934
New York City
|Occupation||Critic and writer|
|Spouse||Schuyler Van Rensselae (m. 1873)|
Mariana Griswold Van Rensselaer (February 21, 1851 – January 20, 1934), usually known as Mrs. Schuyler Van Rensselaer, was an American author.
She was born in New York City, the daughter of George Griswold. In 1868, she moved with her family to Dresden, Germany, where she remained for five years. In 1873, she married Schuyler Van Rensselaer and lived in New Brunswick, New Jersey. They had one child, born in February 1875. She began writing in 1876. The first woman architectural critic, she grew in influence in the 1880s.
She was president of the Public Education Association of New York.
She was elected an honorary member of the American Institute of Architects and the American Society of Landscape Architects. In 1910, she received the degree of D. Litt. from Columbia University, the accomplishment being an extraordinary one for a woman at that time. She was awarded the 1924 American Academy of Arts and Letters Gold Medal.
Her writings include:
- American Etchers (New York, 1886)
- Henry Hobson Richardson and his Works (1888)
- Mariana Griswold Van Rensselaer (2007). "Mariana Griswold Van Rensselaer's Landscape Gardening Manifesto in Garden and Forest". Landscape Journal. 26 (2): 183. doi:10.3368/lj.26.2.183.
- English Cathedrals (1892; fourth edition, 1892)
- Art out of Doors (1893)
- "Fifth Avenue", The Century Magazine (1893) Examined the new development around Central Park.
- Should We Ask for the Suffrage? (1894)
- One Man Who was Content (1896)
- Niagara, a Description (1901)
- History of the City of New York in the Seventeenth Century (1909)
- Poems (1910)
- Wilson, James Grant; Fiske, John, eds. (1889). "Van Rensselaer, Mariana Griswold". Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography. New York: D. Appleton.
-  Archived July 22, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Sarah Allaback (2008). The First American Women Architects. University of Illinois Press. ISBN 978-0-252-03321-6.
- Roth, Leland M. (2011). "Van Rensselaer, Mariana Griswold". In Joan Marter. The Grove Encyclopedia of American Art. Oxford University Press.
- Luther S. Harris (2003). Around Washington Square. JHU Press. ISBN 978-0-8018-7341-6.
- "American Country Dwellings." Parts I-III. The Century Magazine. 1886.
- Judith K. Major. Mariana Griswold Van Rensselaer: A Landscape Critic in the Gilded Age (University of Virginia Press; 2013) 302 pages; scholarly biography