Mariana Bridi Costa
|Mariana Bridi Costa|
18 June 1988|
Espirito Santo, Brazil
|Died||24 January 2009
Espirito Santo, Brazil
|Cause of death||Sepsis, urinary infection and abdominal bleeding|
|Other names||Mari, Mariana Bridi da Costa|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
She began her career at the age of 14 and participated in competitions and fashion events. In 2006 she secured the fourth place in the Miss World Brazil 2006 beauty pageant. In 2007, she participated in the Miss Bikini International contest.
In the same year she participated in the Face Of The Universe held in South Africa and won the title for the fourth most beautiful face in the world. She was also a finalist in the Brazilian stage of the Miss World 2008 beauty pageant and won fourth place.
Bridi became ill in December 2008, initially suspected of having kidney stones. By early January, she was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection that worsened to become septic shock caused by a bacterial infection, probably Pseudomonas aeruginosa, a difficult pathogen to treat because of its resistance to many antibiotics. Pseudomonas aeruginosa is an unusual agent to cause a urinary tract infection which appeared to have caused the sepsis.
Later in January, her sepsis worsened, causing tissue necrosis in her feet and hands, which were then amputated in an attempt to save her life. A part of her stomach was later removed during her final surgery.
She died on the morning of January 24, 2009, in a hospital in Espírito Santo as a result of complications from necrotic septicemia resulting from the original infection. The cause of death according to the hospital certificate was a severe sepsis, urinary infection and abdominal bleeding which led to the failure of multiple organs.
The case attracted attention around the world, and friends said they had received messages of support from all around the world. Her funeral was followed by more than 1,000 people.
- "Mariana Bridi: Perfil". Mariana Bridi's website. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Mariana Bridi da Costa: Miss World Finalist Loses Hands And Feet, Fighting For Life". Newsarticle. The Huffington Post. 2009-01-24. Retrieved 2009-01-24.
- "Brazilian amputee model dead at 20". Newsarticle. CNN. 2009-01-24. Retrieved 2009-01-24.
- "Brazil model who lost hands, feet dies". Newsarticle. Los Angeles Times. 2009-01-24. Archived from the original on January 26, 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- "Model Who Lost Hands, Feet Dies". Newsarticle. Associated Press via Yahoo News. 2009-01-24. Archived from the original on January 29, 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-24.
- "Sepsis Threatens Brazilian Model's Life". Newsarticle. WebMD, Miranda Hill. 2009-01-25. Retrieved 2009-01-28.
- Duffy, Gary (2009-01-24). "Brazil model dies from infection". Newsarticle. BBC News, Sao Paulo. Retrieved 2009-01-24.
- "Official Website (English) - Notícias". Website. 2011-05-14. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Médico explica causas da morte da modelo Mariana Bridi". Newsarticle. G1. 2009-01-25. Retrieved 2009-01-26.
- "Fiance of Brazilian model: 'Where there is a heartbeat, there's hope'". Newsarticle. CNN, Helena de Moura. 2009-01-25. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- "Brazilian model fighting for her life". Newsarticle. USA TODAY, Carolyn Pesce. 2009-01-23. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- "Beauty loses hands and feet". Newsarticle. London: The Sun, Vince Soodin. 2009-01-22.
- "Miss World finalist who had hands and feet amputated after being hit by infection dies". Newsarticle. London: Daily Mail, Tom Worden. 2009-01-25.
- "Stricken Mariana Bridi da Costa appeals for rare blood". Newsarticle. The Daily Telegraph. 2009-01-23.
- "Mariana Bridi, Brazil model who lost hands, feet, dies". Newsarticle. BOSTON Herald. 2009-01-24.
- "Brazilian amputee model, Miss World finalist Mariana Bridi da Costa, age 20, dies of rare infection". Newsarticle. New York Daily News, Christina Boyle. 2009-01-25. Retrieved 2009-01-26.
- "Miss World Finalist Dead at 20: Report". Newsarticle. NBCPhiladelphia.com, Tamara Vostok. 2009-01-26. Archived from the original on January 31, 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-26.
- "Brazilian Model Dies of Pseudomonas Infection". Newsarticle. medHeadlines.com. 2009-01-24. Retrieved 2009-01-26.
- "Brazilian Model Mariana Bridi dies from infection". Newsarticle. People Star. 2009-01-24. Retrieved 2009-01-26.
- "Morte da modelo Mariana Bridi surpreende médicos". Newsarticle. G1. 2009-01-25.