Marianne Horak (born 1944) is a Swiss-Australian entomologist who specialises in Australian Lepidoptera, particularly the phycitine and tortricid moths. She also did important research on the scribbly gum moths, during which eleven new species of Ogmograptis were discovered.
Horak was born in Glarus, Switzerland where she was inspired to study entomology from her childhood growing up in a valley in the Alps. She studied at the Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) in Zürich, earning her M.Sc. in 1970 and Ph.D. in 1983. She did extensive field work in New Zealand (1967–69), New Guinea (1971–73), and Indonesia (1985) before settling permanently in Australia.
She is the current editor-in-chief of Monographs of Australian Lepidoptera, chairperson of the Australian Lepidoptera Research Endowment, and honorary research fellow in Lepidoptera systematics at the Australian National Insect Collection at CSIRO, where she works as Lepidoptera curator and was head of Lepidoptera research until her retirement in 2010.
Horak has discovered several new species of Lepidoptera, including multiple species of Cadra, Heterochorista, and Ogmograptis. She also is the taxon authority for several genera, including Aglaogonia, Atriscripta, and Cnecidophora.
Horak was the first recipient of the J. O. Westwood Medal for excellence in insect taxonomy for "her outstanding monograph entitled The Olethreutine Moths of Australia (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae)". The moth species Coleophora horakae, Hilarographa mariannae, and Myrtartona mariannae are dedicated to her.
- "Marianne Horak". The Conversation. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Scientific Advisory Committee". Australian Lepidoptera Research Endowment. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Horak, M; Day, M.F.; Barlow, C.; Edwards, E.D.; Su, Y.N.; Cameron, S.L. (2012). "Systematics and biology of the iconic Australian scribbly gum moths Ogmograptis Meyrick (Lepidoptera : Bucculatricidae) and their unique insect–plant interaction". Invertebrate Systematics. 26 (4). Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Hoch, Hannelore (26 May 2009). "Taxonomy Profile: Marianne Horak". Deutsche Entomologische Zeitschrift. 56 (1): 5–6. doi:10.1002/mmnd.200900001. ISSN 1435-1951.
- "ANIC Curators". CSIRO. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Horak, Marianne (1 August 1994). "A Review of Cadra Walker in Australia: Five New Native Species and the Two Introduced Pest Species (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae: Phycitinae)". Australian Journal of Entomology. 33 (3): 245–262. doi:10.1111/j.1440-6055.1994.tb01226.x. ISSN 1440-6055.
- Horak, Marianne (October 1984). "The Papuan tortricine genus Heterochorista and the systematic position of the Sparganothini (Lepidoptera, Tortricidae)". Systematic Entomology. 9 (4): 383–433. doi:10.1111/j.1365-3113.1984.tb00517.x.
- Horak, Marianne; Komai, Furumi (2006). Olethreutine moths of Australia. Collingwood: CSIRO Publishing. ISBN 978-0643090934. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "J.O. Westwood Medal". Royal Entomological Society. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Baldizzone, G. (1996). "A taxonomic review of the Coleophoridae (Lepidoptera) of Australia. Contribution to the knowledge of the Coleophoridae, LXXXV". Tijdschrift voor Entomologie. 139: 105. ISSN 0040-7496. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Razowski, Józef (2009). "Descriptions and notes on Neotropical Hilarographa Zeller (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae)" (PDF). Polish Journal of Entomology. 78: 212. Retrieved 5 March 2017.
- Tarmann, Gerhard M. (2004). Zygaenid moths of Australia : a revision of the Australian Zygaenidae, (Procridinae: Artonini). CSIRO. pp. 176–177. ISBN 978-0-643-06798-1. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Book Review" (PDF). TORTS: Newsletter of the Troop of Reputed Tortricid Systematists. 8 (1): 2. 2007. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Robinson, Gaden S. (2 November 2005). "Book Review". Systematic Entomology. 31 (2): 369. doi:10.1111/j.1365-3113.2005.00318.x.
|This article about an entomologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|