|Etymology||From the Bahurutse Madikwa, meaning "there is blood".|
|Country||South Africa, Botswana|
|Region||North West Province, Limpopo Province|
|Source||Eye of Marico|
|⁃ location||Near Swartruggens|
|Mouth||Crocodile River confluence|
|Limpopo River, South Africa/Botswana border|
|Basin size||13,208 km2 (5,100 sq mi)|
The Marico River or Madikwe is a river in Southern Africa. There are a number of dams in its basin. Groot Marico town is named after the Marico River. After it is joined on its right bank by the Crocodile River it is known as the Limpopo River.
The river starts off as the Groot Marico River at the Eye of Marico, near Rustenburg and Swartruggens in the North West Province of South Africa. The source of the river is a large dolomitic hole in the ground with clear water, which is also a spectacular scuba diving spot. It flows northwards as the Great Marico (Groot Marico) and further downstream the smaller Klein Marico River joins forces. For a stretch it is named Madikwene River, but after the Sehubyane River (Sandsloot) joins its left bank, it reverts to the name Marico.
It continues flowing northwards, bending northeastwards and forming the border between South Africa and Botswana. Further downstream the Crocodile River joins the Marico River from the right and the name of the stream after the confluence becomes the Limpopo River. About 5 km short of the confluence the Notwane River joins the Limpopo from the southwest.
Dams in the river basin
The Marico River is part of the Crocodile (West) and Marico Water Management Area. Dams in the river basin are:
- Molatedi Dam
- Kromellenboog Dam
- Marico-Bosveld Dam
- Uitkyk Dam
- Klein-Maricopoort Dam
- Sehujwane Dam
- Madikwe Dam
- Drainage basin A
- List of rivers of South Africa
- Marico barb
- Crocodile (West) and Marico Water Management Area
- Marico Oog Gallery
- Major rivers and streams within the Limpopo River Basin
- "Major dams in the Marico River". Archived from the original on 2012-04-17. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- Marico - Africa at its best
- South Africa Information: Groot Marico
- Klein-Maricorivier, North-West, South Africa
- Crocodile (West) & Marico WMA 3
- "Limpopo Drainage Network". Archived from the original on 2014-09-03. Retrieved 2012-03-16.