The Maricoxi is a general term for several large ape-like creatures that have allegedly been seen in many parts of the jungle regions of South America. These may be cryptids or merely an undiscovered tribe.
Percy Fawcett claimed an encounter with a group in 1914. They allegedly were extremely hairy, lived in villages and used bows and arrows. They spoke in grunts and lived to the northeast of a tribe called the Maxubi .
Maricoxi are reported as being aggressive to humans. In alleged encounters, they attack humans on sight. They are said to be scared of the noise of guns.
They are generally described as being between 2 to 6 feet tall with occasional reports of giant homids reaching incredible sizes of 12 feet tall.
There are 5 types of the creatures according to claimed sightings:
- Aluxes (Small dwarf sized creature with human face)
- Vasitris (Evil creatures)
- Matuyus (Creatures that help wildlife. Their feet apparently face backwards)
- Curinqueans (Giant 12 ft tall beings)
- Percy Fawcett - Lost Trails, Lost Cities Funk & Wagnalls (1953) ASIN B0007DNCV4 
- Ivan T. Sanderson, "Things", 1967, Pyramid Books Chapter 8 (pages 80-93)- "The Maricoxi" 
|This cryptozoology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|