Maricruz Olivier in Angelitos del trapecio (1959)
|Born||María de la Cruz Olivier Obergh
September 19, 1935
|Died||October 10, 1984
Mexico City, Mexico
|Occupation||Film and television actress|
Maricruz Olivier (September 19, 1935 – October 10, 1984) was a Mexican actress of film, television, and theater. She is best remembered for starring in the 1959 version of the telenovela Teresa, which was a success as it established her on-screen persona of playing villains.
Olivier was born María de la Cruz Olivier Obergh to Mercedes Shirley Obergh in the city of Tehuacán, Puebla. Olivier studied philosophy, literature, and acting for two years in the Academia Andrés Soler. Her film debut was in Esos de Penjamo in 1951, and her theatrical debut was in the play, Que no es cordero. Because of her participation in the 1955 play Santa Juana, Olivier became one of the most important young actresses of the decade.
Although Olivier was popularly known for playing villainous-type roles, she had also appeared in many other different film genres. In 1959, she co-starred with Anabel Gutiérrez as one of the love interests of Viruta y Capulina (popular comic actors at the time) in the comedy film, Angelitos del trapecio.
Aside from all these genres, her astounding sinister-beauty and acting captivated the audience to believe in her work. As she once quoted in 1983:
"The villains gave me fame. The people have hated my roles of cursed women, only four in my career. I know that they don't hate me. In the minds of people I did not stay a villain, but an actress. When I did Teresa, there were those who stopped me on the street to give me advice: do not be a bad daughter missy! Behave better with your parents! Other people told me: what a horrible behavior! Behind all this I was still interpreting her."
- Quinceañera (1960)
- Teresa (1959)
- El Derecho de Nacer (1966)
- El caballo bayo (1966)
- Un dorado de Pancho Villa (1967)
- Como pescar marído (1968)
- El oficio más antiguo del mundo (1970)
- Tres Mujeres en la Hoguera (1979)
- "Olivier, Maricruz. Biographical Dictionary of Mexican Film Performers "N" and "O"". Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Biografía de Maricruz Olivier". Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- Agrasánchez Jr., Rogelio (2001). Bellezas del cine mexicano/Beauties of Mexican Cinema. Archivo Fílmico Agrasánchez. ISBN 968-5077-11-8.