Marie-Chantal, Crown Princess of Greece
Marie-Chantal Claire, Crown Princess of Greece, Princess of Denmark (née: Miller; born 17 September 1968 in London, England), is the wife of Pavlos, Crown Prince of Greece, Prince of Denmark. Pavlos is the son and heir apparent of King Constantine II, who was deposed in 1973.
Marie-Chantal Miller was born in London, England, to Marie Chantal Pesantes, an Ecuadorian, and Robert Warren Miller, an American. She has an older sister, Pia, ex-wife of Christopher Getty, and a younger sister, Alexandra, ex-wife of Prince Alexander von Fürstenberg.
Marie-Chantal was raised in Hong Kong where she attended The Peak School until she was 9 years-old when she went to board at Institut Le Rosey in Switzerland. In 1982 she transferred to the Ecole Active Bilingue in Paris until her senior year which she took at The Masters School in New York which was then girls only. After graduating she attended the Academy of Arts for one year. She began a degree in History of Art at New York University in 1993 but dropped out a year later after Pavlos, Crown Prince of Greece, proposed to her on a skiing holiday in Gstaad, Switzerland, at Christmas.
Marie-Chantal is the Founder and Creative Director of Marie-Chantal, an international childrenswear brand founded in 2000. She is a trustee of the Royal Academy Trust and a board director of DFS Group Ltd. DFS is a luxury retailer catering to the travelling public and is a division of LVMH.
Marie-Chantal childrenswear is designed in Chelsea, London. Its signature piece is the Angel Wing onesie.
Marie-Chantal childrenswear is sold at its four boutiques and online through its official websites. Marie-Chantal is also stocked by luxury department stores, including Harrods, Saks 5th Avenue, Petit Marchons and boutiques in over 20 countries around the world.
Marriage and issue
In 1995, Marie-Chantal became engaged to Pavlos, Crown Prince of Greece, Prince of Denmark. Pavlos is the son and heir apparent of King Constantine II, who was deposed in 1973. She converted from Roman Catholicism to Greek Orthodoxy on 22 May 1995 in a private Chrismation ceremony held at St Paul's Chapel in New York. She received a cabochon-cut sapphire and heart-shaped diamond engagement ring from the crown prince. The wedding was planned by Lady Elizabeth Anson and Robert Isabell. Marie-Chantal wore a Valentino dress. The ceremony was held on 1 July 1995 at St Sophia's Cathedral in London. Attendees included many members of European royal families and ten members of the Greek political party New Democracy.
The couple has five children:
- Princess Maria-Olympia of Greece and Denmark (born on 25 July 1996 in New York City). Among Maria-Olympia's godparents are Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark (paternal aunt); Pia Getty (maternal aunt); the Prince of Wales and Prince Michael of Greece.
Prince Constantine-Alexios of Greece and Denmark (named after his grandfather; born 29 October 1998 in New York City). As oldest son and heir, Prince Constantine-Alexios has several royal godparents: Prince Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark (paternal uncle); Princess Alexandra von Fürstenberg (maternal aunt); Felipe VI of Spain (his father's paternal first cousin); the Crown Prince of Denmark (his father's maternal cousin); the Crown Princess of Sweden; the Duke of Cambridge; and family friend, Doris Robbs.
- Prince Achileas-Andreas of Greece and Denmark (born on 12 August 2000 in New York City) his godparents are: Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark (his paternal aunt); Infanta Elena of Spain (his father's paternal cousin) Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg; Prince Alexander of Fürstenberg; Princess Rosario of Bulgaria and Prince Kardam of Bulgaria
- Prince Odysseus-Kimon of Greece and Denmark (born on 17 September 2004 in London) his godparents are Prince Philippos of Greece and Denmark (paternal uncle); Princess Olga, Duchess of Apulia (his grandfather's second cousin) Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (his father's first cousin) and Mette-Marit, Crown Princess of Norway
- Prince Aristidis-Stavros of Greece and Denmark (born on 29 June 2008 in Los Angeles) his godparents are Infanta Cristina of Spain (his father's paternal first cousin) and Stavros Niarchos.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Crown Princess Marie-Chantal
|Reference style||Her Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
Titles and styles
Since her marriage, Marie-Chantal has been styled as Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess of Greece, Princess of Denmark".
|Ancestors of Marie-Chantal, Crown Princess of Greece|
- "Designer Kids Clothes from Marie-Chantal Children". mariechantal.com. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "About Us | Marie-Chantal". mariechantal.co.uk. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Stores and stockists | Marie-Chantal". mariechantal.co.uk. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Crown jewels: The fabulous rings which sealed the love of Europe's royal couples". HELLO! magazine (UK).
- "Royal weddings in history". Vogue.
- Royal Baptism photos 1999 http://www.angelfire.com/de/verenasroyalty/Baptism1999.html