Marie-Chantal, Crown Princess of Greece
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (May 2016)|
|Crown Princess of Greece|
The Crown Princess and her husband at the wedding of Princess Madeleine of Sweden, 8 June 2013
17 September 1968 |
|Spouse||Pavlos, Crown Prince of Greece (m. 1995)|
|Father||Robert Warren Miller|
|Mother||Marie Chantal Pesantes|
prev. Roman Catholic
|Greek Royal Family|
Marie-Chantal Miller was born in London, England, to Marie Chantal Pesantes, an Ecuadorian, and Robert Warren Miller, an American businessman. She has an older sister, Pia, ex-wife of Christopher Getty, and a younger sister, Alexandra, ex-wife of Prince Alexander von Fürstenberg. She was baptized in the Catholic Church at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City by Cardinal John O’Connor, Archbishop of New York with Princess Donatella Missikoff Flick as her godmother.
Marie-Chantal was raised in Hong Kong where she attended The Peak School until she was 9 years-old when she went to board at Institut Le Rosey in Switzerland. In 1982 she transferred to the Ecole Active Bilingue in Paris until her senior year which she took at The Masters School in New York which was then girls only. After graduating she attended the Academy of Arts for one year. She began a degree in History of Art at New York University in 1993 but dropped out a year later after Pavlos, Crown Prince of Greece, proposed to her on a skiing holiday in Gstaad, Switzerland, at Christmas.
Marie-Chantal is the Founder and Creative Director of Marie-Chantal, an international childrenswear brand founded in 2000. She is a trustee of the Royal Academy Trust and a board director of DFS Group Ltd. DFS is a luxury retailer catering to the travelling public and is a division of LVMH.
Marriage and issue
In 1995, Marie-Chantal became engaged to Pavlos, Crown Prince of Greece, son of the deposed King Constantine II. She converted from Roman Catholicism to Greek Orthodoxy on 22 May 1995 in a private Chrismation ceremony held at St Paul's Chapel in New York. Her engagement ring was a cabochon-cut sapphire and heart-shaped diamond engagement ring. The wedding was planned by Lady Elizabeth Anson and Robert Isabell. Marie-Chantal wore a Valentino dress. The ceremony was held on 1 July 1995 at St Sophia's Cathedral in London. Attendees included many members of European royal families and ten members of the Greek political party New Democracy.
The couple has five children:
- Princess Maria-Olympia of Greece and Denmark (born on 25 July 1996 in New York City). Among Maria-Olympia's godparents are Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark (paternal aunt); Pia Getty (maternal aunt); the Prince of Wales and Prince Michael of Greece.
- Prince Constantine-Alexios of Greece and Denmark (named after his grandfather; born 29 October 1998 in New York City). As oldest son and heir, Prince Constantine-Alexios has several royal godparents: Prince Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark (paternal uncle); Princess Alexandra von Fürstenberg (maternal aunt); Felipe VI of Spain (his father's paternal first cousin); the Crown Prince of Denmark (his father's maternal cousin); the Crown Princess of Sweden; the Duke of Cambridge; Prince Dimitri of Yugoslavia and family friend, Doris Robbs.
- Prince Achileas Andreas of Greece and Denmark (born on 12 August 2000 in New York City) his godparents are: Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark (his paternal aunt); Infanta Elena of Spain (his father's paternal cousin) Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg; Prince Alexander of Fürstenberg; Princess Rosario of Bulgaria, Prince Kardam of Bulgaria and Veronica Toub.
- Prince Odysseus-Kimon of Greece and Denmark (born on 17 September 2004 in London) his godparents are Prince Philippos of Greece and Denmark (paternal uncle); Princess Olga, Duchess of Apulia (his grandfather's second cousin); Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (his father's first cousin); Mette-Marit, Crown Princess of Norway; Nassos Thanopoulos; Arki Busson and Chris Thomsen.
- Prince Aristidis-Stavros of Greece and Denmark (born on 29 June 2008 in Los Angeles) his godparents are Infanta Cristina of Spain (his father's paternal first cousin); Prince Kyril of Bulgaria; Countess Debbie von Bismarck; Don Francesco Moncada di Principi di Paterno; Spyros Niarchos; Stavros Livanos and Aristide Faggionato.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
|This section does not cite any sources. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Crown Princess Marie-Chantal
|Reference style||Her Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
Titles and styles
- 17 September 1968 - June 30 1995: Miss Marie-Chantal Claire Miller
- 1 July 1995 - present: Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece, Princess of Denmark
- Royal Orders of Greece :
- Dame 1st Class of the Order of Saints Olga and Sophia
- Sweden: Recipient of the 50th Birthday Badge Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf
|Ancestors of Marie-Chantal, Crown Princess of Greece|
- "Designer Kids Clothes from Marie-Chantal Children". mariechantal.com. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Crown jewels: The fabulous rings which sealed the love of Europe's royal couples". HELLO! magazine (UK).
- "Royal weddings in history". Vogue.
- Royal Baptism photos 1999 http://www.angelfire.com/de/verenasroyalty/Baptism1999.html