|Full name||Marie Knutsen|
|Date of birth||31 August 1982|
|Place of birth||Trondheim, Norway|
|Height||1.67 m (5 ft 6 in)|
|2011||Rovers (New York)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 19 January 2009
After missing 2010 and 2011 through giving birth and moving away to America, Knutsen returned to Røa in 2012. She retired from football ahead of the club's 2013 Toppserien campaign.
She was part of the squad for the 2007 Women's World Cup, playing in five matches, as well as the 2008 Summer Olympics held in Beijing, China, where she appeared in three matches. Knutsen also played in the 2005 European Championships, winning the silver medal after Norway lost 3–1 to Germany in the final at Ewood Park, Blackburn.
On 21 October 2008 Marie Knutsen and four other Røa players—Lene Mykjåland, Guro Knutsen, Marit Fiane Christensen and Siri Nordby—made headlines when they announced in a press release that they would not be returning to the national team due to issues the five had with the national team leadership. While the press statement never mentioned coach Bjarne Berntsen's name, it was assumed that he was instrumental in their decision to retire from the team. The retirement, construed in many newspapers as a boycott, created widespread media attention.
Knutsen studied psychology and was married in the summer of 2008. In January 2010 she announced she was expecting her first child and would not play football during 2010. She and her husband Patrick Johansen then moved to New York City, USA where they lived with their son Jasper. Knutsen played amateur football for Rovers in the New York Metropolitan Women's Soccer League. Her younger sister, Guro Knutsen continued to play for Røa IL. Both sisters are members of the Christian sports organization Kristen Idrettskontakt (KRIK).
- League champion 2003
- Marie Knutsen page on NRK
- Hongshagen, Eva (13 April 2014). "Røa ribbet av rivalene: – Så klart er det sårt" (in Norwegian). NRK. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- NFF player page[permanent dead link]
- Fem Røa-spillere takker nei til landslaget
- Alstad, Terje (31 May 2011). "Nyter livet i USA" (in Norwegian). Nettavisen. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "Aftenposten.no - Disse er sterke i troen". Archived from the original on 9 October 2014.