|Location||Jomala, Åland, Finland|
|Elevation AMSL||17 ft / 5 m|
Mariehamn Airport (Swedish: Mariehamns flygplats, Finnish: Maarianhaminan lentoasema) (IATA: MHQ, ICAO: EFMA) is located in Jomala, Åland (a territory of Finland). The airport is located some 3 kilometres (2 mi) north-west of Mariehamn town centre. It served 61,568 passengers in 2017 and is operated by the state-owned Finavia.
The airport has a duty-free shop where passengers can buy goods such as alcohol without having to pay VAT and other taxes. This is allowed before flying to any destination outside Åland, even to Finland. Normally local taxes must be paid in airport shops before travelling inside the EU, but Åland is outside the EU VAT area, for the very reason to allow tax-free sales onboard ferries and at the airport. Åland is in other respects a part of the EU.
The Aero Flight 217 aviation accident that resulted in 22 deaths occurred near the airport in 1963.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Leap||Stockholm-Arlanda (PSO), Turku (PSO)|
|Year||Domestic passengers||International passengers||Total passengers||Change|
- "EFMA Mariehamn" (PDF). AIP Suomi / Finland. Finavia. 1 July 2010. pp. EFMA AD 2.1, 1–8. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 April 2012. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Finavia's Air Traffic Statistics 2010" (PDF). Vantaa: Finavia. pp. 7, 9. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 January 2012. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Nytt flygbolag på den skandinaviska marknaden". Mynewsdesk (in Swedish). Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- "LEAP börjar flyga Mariehamn – Åbo". www.mynewsdesk.com (in Swedish). 13 July 2018. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
Media related to Mariehamn Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Finavia – Mariehamn Airport (official website)
- AIP Finland – Mariehamn Airport
- Current weather for EFMA at NOAA/NWS
- Airport information for EFMA at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for MHQ at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- Accident history for MHQ at Aviation Safety Network