|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2007)|
Iconic Mariemont Inn
Location in Hamilton County and the state of Ohio.
|• Total||0.89 sq mi (2.31 km2)|
|• Land||0.86 sq mi (2.23 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.08 km2)|
|Elevation||587 ft (179 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||3,384|
|• Density||3,957.0/sq mi (1,527.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1061472|
Mariemont (pronounced Mary-mont) is a planned community village in Hamilton County, Ohio, United States. It includes two overlapping historic districts, Village of Mariemont and Mariemont Historic District. Named for its founder, Mary Emery, Mariemont exhibits English architecture from Norman to classic Georgian style. Several parks exist in the village, including the Concourse on Miami Bluff Drive, and Dogwood Park that offers carillon concerts on Sundays throughout the summer months. The village square serves as the community center with red brick Tudor buildings, including the Mariemont Inn and Mariemont Barber Shop. Mariemont has one of the few elected town criers remaining in North America. In 2007, the Village of Mariemont was designated a National Historic Landmark.
Mariemont is located at .
|This section requires expansion. (December 2014)|
Mariemont was founded by Mary Emery and planned by John Nolen and 25 leading American architects. Emery and other dignitaries broke ground on April 25, 1923. According to historian James W. Loewen, Mariemont purposely excluded minorities under a policy begun by Emery.
According to the 2010 census, there were 3,403 people, 1,443 households, and 877 families residing in the village. The population density was 3,957.0 inhabitants per square mile (1,527.8/km2). There were 1,597 housing units at an average density of 1,857.0 per square mile (717.0/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 94.7% White, 1.6% African American, 0.2% Native American, 1.3% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.5% from other races, and 1.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.6% of the population.
As of 2013, 3,380 people live in Mariemont.
There were 1,443 households of which 35.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.3% were married couples living together, 8.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 2.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.2% were non-families. 33.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 14% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 3.08.
The median age in the village was 36.6 years. 28.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 29.1% were from 25 to 44; 24.6% were from 45 to 64; and 12.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 45.2% male and 54.8% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,408 people, 1,463 households, and 886 families residing in the village. The population density was 3,991.7 people per square mile (1,548.0/km2). There were 1,541 housing units at an average density of 1,804.9 per square mile (700.0/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 96.92% White, 1.00% African American, 0.23% Native American, 0.79% Asian, 0.12% Pacific Islander, 0.21% from other races, and 0.73% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.03% of the population.
There were 1,463 households out of which 33.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.3% were married couples living together, 9.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.4% were non-families. 35.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.26 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the village the population was spread out with 26.8% under the age of 18, 4.0% from 18 to 24, 31.2% from 25 to 44, 20.0% from 45 to 64, and 17.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 77.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 70.8 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $57,614, and the median income for a family was $81,358. Males had a median income of $59,400 versus $38,938 for females. The per capita income for the village was $32,897. About 3.6% of families and 5.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.3% of those under age 18 and 2.3% of those age 65 or over.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Mariemont village, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Loewen, James W. (2013). Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension Of American Racism. The New Press. p. 229. ISBN 1595586741.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Village website
- Mariemont Preservation Foundation
- Cincinnati Photographs including Mariemont
- Village of Mariemont - The Village Connection - Information about Mariemont
- Mariemont Community Guide