Old Town Hall
|• Mayor||Raymond Vegso|
|• Total||0.8 sq mi (2 km2)|
|• Land||0.8 sq mi (2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||279 ft (85 m)|
|• Density||3,400/sq mi (1,300/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|School district||Donegal School District|
Marietta is located at (40.057169, -76.555955).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), all of it land.
Market Street runs the whole length of the town. The east/west divider is Waterford Avenue.
The borough was named for the wives of two settlers.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,689 people, 1,092 households, and 723 families residing in the borough. The population density was 3,587.0 people per square mile (1,384.3/km²). There were 1,168 housing units at an average density of 1,558.1 per square mile (601.3/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 95.83% White, 2.49% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.15% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.52% from other races, and 0.82% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.90% of the population.
There were 1,092 households, out of which 32.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.3% were married couples living together, 10.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.7% were non-families. 25.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the borough the population was spread out, with 24.8% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 34.3% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 10.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 99.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.7 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $40,563, and the median income for a family was $46,905. Males had a median income of $33,783 versus $21,863 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $19,265. About 6.7% of families and 9.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.8% of those under age 18 and 11.0% of those age 65 or over.
Primary education in the borough of Marietta is provided by the Donegal School District. Students kindergarten through second grade attend the Donegal Primary School in Mount Joy, PA. Students third grade through sixth grade attend the Donegal Intermediate School located on PA 441 just outside the borough. Students seventh grade through eighth grade attend the Donegal Junior High School in Mount Joy, PA. Students ninth grade through twelfth grade attend the Donegal Senior High School.
- Henry B. Cassel, Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania.
- Alan Dawson (1929-1996), famous jazz drummer and percussion teacher based in Boston, born in Marietta.
- David Hickernell, Republican member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. U.S. Government Printing Office. p. 199.
- Staff (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marietta, Pennsylvania.|