Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Wagner Moura|
Luiz Carlos Vasconcelos
Marighella is a 2019 Brazilian film directed by Wagner Moura, based on the life of the politician and guerilla fighter Carlos Marighella. The film was adapted from the biography Marighella - O Guerrilheiro que Incendiou o Mundo (Marighella - The Guerrilla fighter that Lighted the World), by Mário Magalhães. It is Moura's directorial debut.
- Seu Jorge as Carlos Marighella
- Adriana Esteves as Clara
- Bruno Gagliasso as Lúcio
- Luiz Carlos Vasconcelos as Almir
- Humberto Carrão as Humberto
- Jorge Paz as Jorge
- Bella Camero as Bella
- Herson Capri as Jorge Salles
- Henrique Vieira as Frei Henrique
- Ana Paula Bouzas as Maria
- Adanilo as Danilo
- Ana Paula Bouzas as Ana
- Tuna Dwek as Ieda
- Guilherme Lopes as Crespo
- Rafael Lozano as Rafael
- Charles Paraventi as Bob
- Brian Townes as Wilson Chandler
Several sources reported that internet bots were used to reduce the movie rating on the IMDb website. In response, IMDb deactivated ratings on the film's page. By February 18, 2019, the movie had more than 15,000 ratings on IMDb, although it had not yet been released in theatres.
The film has also attracted political controversies. Stephen Dalton, writing for the Hollywood Reporter, remarked that Wagner Moura presents Marighella's character as a hero and a martyr for democracy and liberal values, even though, in reality, Marighella was a self proclaimed far-left Marxist, who many would deem a terrorist by modern standards. Further, Marighella's ethnicity was also deeply debated. In the movie, Moura portraits him as black. However, many critics claimed that in reality Marighella was white or pardo (mestizo) and Moura tries to rewrite history by labelling him as a black hero. In response, Moura argued that "[t]here's no way to discuss any social issue in Brazil without talking about racial issues. For me, Marighella had to be black."
- Carmelo, Bruno (February 14, 2019). "Festival de Berlim 2019: Wagner Moura apresenta o radical Marighella, retrato do guerrilheiro que enfrentou a ditadura". AdoroCinema. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- "'Marighella' é selecionado para Festival de Cinema de Berlim". Terra (in Portuguese). Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- "Filme 'Marighella', de Wagner Moura, estreia sob aplausos em Berlim". Folha de S.Paulo (in Portuguese). February 14, 2019. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- Julia Reis (February 18, 2019). "Bots tentaram derrubar nota de 'Marighella' no IMDb, mas não deu muito certo". Vice (in Portuguese). Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- "Após ação coordenada anti-'Marighella', IMDB apaga críticas ao filme". VEJA.com (in Portuguese). Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- "Direita derruba 'Marighella', esquerda contra-ataca e site americano retira avaliações". Folha de S.Paulo (in Portuguese). February 18, 2019. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- Dalton, Stephen. "'Marighella': Film Review". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- Kaiser, Anna Jean. "Marighella: revolutionary biopic from Narcos' Wagner Moura criticised by Bolsonaro". The Guardian. Retrieved February 21, 2019.