|Genres||Electronic, noise, improvisation, experimental|
|Labels||Totally Gross National Product|
|Associated acts||Poliça, Har Mar Superstar, Doomtree, Bon Iver, Gayngs, Solid Gold|
Marijuana Deathsquads is a Minneapolis-based noise band with an electronic, improvised, experimental sound that has been described as "ear-bending improv/dance grooves that defied listener expectations and spit in the face of easy categorization."
Formed in 2009, the band consists of Ryan Olson of Gayngs, Isaac Gale, Stef Alexander (a.k.a. P.O.S), Ben Ivascu of Poliça, Mark McGee of To Kill a Petty Bourgeoisie, and Jeremy Nutzman (a.k.a. Velvet Negroni). Frequent collaborators include Channy Leaneagh and Drew Christopherson of Poliça, Har Mar Superstar, and Jim Eno.
In November 2011, they released their first LP, Crazy Master. In 2011, singer Isaac Gale won the City Pages Best Male Vocalist award, his singing described as "a poltergeist creeping out of a snowy, crackling television screen, Gale's tortured, throaty hollering is the stuff of zombie nightmares, simultaneously gut-wrenching and enthralling."
In September 2012, they released the Tamper Disable Destroy mixtape.
In May 2013 they released Music Rocks I & II, two EPs featuring Ryan Olson, Isaac Gale, Jason Power, Ben Ivascu, Channy Leaneagh, Mark McGee, Jeremy Nutzman, Stefon Alexander, and Madden.
In October 2013 the band released Oh My Sexy Lord, an LP that Spin magazine called "ferocious" and described as fusing "jagged grooves, scratchy analog effects, and robo-warped vocals into a full-length, experimental freakout." The album features guest appearances by Bon Iver frontman Justin Vernon, Poliça frontwoman Channy Leaneagh, and Har Mar Superstar.
Chris Reiemenschneider of the Star Tribune said that "Marijuana Deathsquads has been steadily blowing eardrums, breaking drum heads and tearing at the seams of conventional music-making since its semi-mysterious inception."
- Crazy Master (2011)
- Tamper Disable Destroy (2012)
- Music Rocks I & II (2013)
- Oh My Sexy Lord (2013)
- Lunney, Tigger (November 2, 2011). "Marijuana Deathsquads (record-release)". City Pages. Archived from the original on December 23, 2011.
- Tillery, Grant (February 27, 2014). "Music to make you high - Marijuana Deathsquads makes party music for party people". Minnesota Daily.
- Bolton, Aaron (December 9, 2013). "Weekly Release Spotlight - Marijuana Deathsquads". Radio K.
- RiemenSchneider, Chris (November 24, 2013). "Marijuana Deathsquads come into the light". Star Tribune.
- Gage, Jeff (November 4, 2011). "Marijuana Deathsquads release Crazy Master tonight at Nick and Eddie". Gimme Noise. Archived from the original on September 19, 2012.
- "Minneapolis Best Vocalist (Male)". City Pages. 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-04-26.
- Coplan, Chris (September 13, 2012). "Download: Marijuana Deathsquads – Tamper. Disable. Destroy. mixtape". Consequence of Sound.
- Keller, Josh (May 31, 2013). "Review & Free Download: Marijuana Deathsquads "Music Rocks I & II"". Reviler.
- McGovern, Kyle (October 14, 2013). "Stream Marijuana Deathsquads' Ferocious New Album 'Oh My Sexy Lord'". Spin.
- Fischer, Reed (October 9, 2013). "Marijuana Deathsquads: Everyone's got that fucking crazy animal in them". City Pages. Archived from the original on October 16, 2013.
- Riemenschneider, Chris (December 30, 2010). "The Big Gigs". Star Tribune.