Born in northeastern Alberta, she is a descendant of Gabriel Dumont. Dumont holds an MFA from the University of British Columbia. Her work is widely anthologized. She is currently an Associate Professor at the University of Alberta in the Faculty of Arts - English & Film Studies Department and teaches creative writing.
- A Really Good Brown Girl. London, ON: Brick, 1996. ISBN 0-919626-76-9
- Green Girl Dreams Mountains. Lantzville, BC: Oolichan Books, 2001.
- that tongued belonging. Cape Croker ON: Kegedonce Press, 2007
- Ed. Initiations: a Selection of Young Native Writings. Penticton: Theytus Books, 2007.
- 1997: Gerald Lampert Award, A Really Good Brown Girl
- 2001: Alberta Book Award for Poetry, Green Girl Dreams Mountains
- 2001: Writer's Guild of Alberta Stephan G. Stephansson Award for Poetry, Green Girl Dreams Mountains
- 2007: McNally Robinson Aboriginal Book of the Year Award, That Tongued Belonging
- 2019: Alberta Lieutenant Governor’s Distinguished Artist Award
- Barkwell, Lawrence J.: Marilyn Dumont, in Women of the Métis Nation. Winnipeg: Louis Riel Institute, 2010. ISBN 978-0-9809912-5-3
- Patrick Schmitz: The aspect of healing in the poetry of Gregory Scofield, Marilyn Dumont, Roo Borson and Louise Bernice Halfe. Grin, Munich 2012 ISBN 9783656151364
- Vesna Lopičić: The devil’s language of Marilyn Dumont. doi:10.1007/s11059-017-0375-z. In: Neohelicon, Springer (Netherlands) March 2017, pp 1–12, print: ISSN 0324-4652
- Brock University: Canadian Women Poets
- Item at English-Canadian writers, Athabasca University, added: bibliography by and about her
- Canada Council for the Arts. Public Lending Right Commission. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- Athabasca University Archived 2010-11-30 at the Wayback Machine. Author biography. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- "Marilyn Dumont, BA, MFA - Associate Professor". University of Alberta Directory. Retrieved 2021-01-20.
- "Distinguished Artist Award Recipients Announced". 2019-06-17. Retrieved 2021-01-20.