|Education||Ph.D. in Human Development|
|Alma mater||Fielding Graduate University|
|Known for||Youth Development Expert|
Marilyn Price-Mitchell (born March 1, 1949) is an American psychologist, author, columnist, speaker, and youth development expert. She is the co-founder and serves on the Advisory Board of the Washington State Family & Community Engagement Trust (formerly known as the National ParentNet Association) and has a regular column at Psychology Today. She has also served as a fellow at the Fielding Graduate University Institute for Social Innovation.
Background and education
Price-Mitchell grew up in Harper Woods, Michigan, the daughter of Herman William Dennis and Dorothy Virginia Latimer. She graduated (Marilyn Dennis) from Harper Woods High School in 1967 and has an undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan. Price-Mitchell obtained her Ph.D. in Human Development through Fielding Graduate University in 2010 where she also received a master's degree in Human and Organizational Systems.
Price-Mitchell's research is in the field of positive youth development. Her 2010 research study, Civic Learning at the Edge: Transformative Stories of Highly Engaged Youth, explored how young people experienced and met the challenges of civic engagement during the formative adolescent and young adult years. It examined how these youth developed initiative for public service, learned from experiences and adult relationships, and constructed meaning that propelled them to take action in the world. Following the completion of her study, Price-Mitchell received the Elizabeth Douvan Post-Doctoral Fellowship, an annual donor-funded scholarship, to continue her research with civically-engaged youth. Price-Mitchell's research was used to support the development of GenerationOn, the youth division of Points of Light. It also provided the foundation for Price-Mitchell's book, Tomorrow’s Change Makers: Reclaiming the Power of Citizenship for a New Generation (Eagle Harbor Publishing, 2015) where she introduced a new framework to understand positive youth development called "The Compass Advantage". The framework is being used by schools and communities worldwide to foster core abilities in youth.
Price-Mitchell's linking of boundary dynamics and parental engagement was cited in length in the book The Crucial Voice of the People, Past and Present: Education's Missing Ingredient, by Victoria M. Young. Her work in positive youth development and positive education has been cited in numerous other books including The Practice of Teaching by Allan Ornstein, Beyond Smart by Linda Morgan, Masculinities in Contemporary American Culture: An Intersectional Approach by Thomas Keith, and Narrowing the Achievement Gap: Parental Engagement with Children’s Learning by Janet Goodall.
Price-Mitchell is the founder of Roots of Action, a website that offers insights and research on child and adolescent development, education, and positive psychology. She authors the column The Moment of Youth for Psychology Today and is a blogger for Edutopia, a web resource for educators provided by the George Lucas Educational Foundation. Her writing has been featured in The Henry Ford Magazine and she has been interviewed on the topic of youth development by podcasters.
She has been quoted or covered in various media outlets including NBC News, Today, Parents.com, Modern Mom, Arkansas Matters, and Deseret News. Numerous scholarly journal articles and books have cited her works.
- Handron, Dosser. "What Makes Teenagers Good Citizens?". Modern Mom. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- "Interview with Positive Youth Development Expert Marilyn Price-Mitchell PhD". Positive Psychology. Harvard Family Research Project. July 31, 2011. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- "BOOK REVIEW: TOMORROW’S CHANGE MAKERS" Youth Volunteer Corps. Retrieved February 28, 2016.
- "Conference Speakers" Learning & the Brain. Retrieved 2019-04-26.
- "Ask the Expert – Help! My 15-year-old Is Wasting His Summer". Your Teen Mag. August 1, 2012. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- Murray, Dave (August 21, 2012). "Expert: Teachers Play a big role in inspiring civic engagement, though it won't appear in test scores". Michigan Live. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- "History of ParentNet" WA Family Engagement. Retrieved February 28, 2016.
- "About" WA Family Engagement. Retrieved 2016-02-28.
- Morgan, Linda. Beyond Smart. Parent Map. ISBN 9780983012832.
- Price-Mitchell, Marilyn. "The Moment of Youth: Helping Teens Believe in Themselves". Psychology Today. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "ISI Fellows 2015" Fielding Graduate University. Retrieved February 28, 2016.
- "How to Raise a Skeptical Kid Without Raising a Cynic" Fatherly. Retrieved 2019-04-26.
- "Elizabeth Douvan Fellows advance her legacy" FGU News. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- Price-Mitchell, Marilyn. "Civic learning at the edge: Transformative stories of highly engaged youth". ProQuest. Fielding Graduate University. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "2018 Libby Douvan Alumni Award Winners Announced" FGU News Archives. Retrieved 2019-04-26.
- Increasing Capacity to Engage Youth & Family Volunteers: Ready-Set-Go Resource Guide. New York, NY: GenerationOn. 2012. pp. 5–7.
- "Tomorrow’s Change Makers: Reclaiming the Power of Citizenship for a New Generation" National Coalition for Dialogue & Deliberation. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- Kennedy-Moore, Eileen (September 30, 2015). "How To Make Teen Volunteer Work More Than A Resume Builder". Psychology Today. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- "Points of Pride". FGU News. January 26, 2016. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- "8 Essential Abilities a Child Needs to Build Good Character" Smart Parenting. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- "Eight Pathways to Every Child's Success". Edutopia. January 7, 2015. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- "Principal's Message" CMS Newsletter. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- "Organizing Framework" Bainbridge Healthy Youth Alliance. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- "Resources" Youth Work. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- Newman, Susan (October 5, 2015). "Does Your Child Have an Inner Compass?". Psychology Today. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- "Compass Curriculum" Corners Outreach. Retrieved 2019-04-26.
- Young, Victoria M. (2012). The Crucial Voice of the People, Past and Present: Education's Missing Ingredient. Rowman & Littlefield Education. pp. 43, 61, 80, 81, 101. ISBN 978-1-4758-0022-7.
- Ornstein, Allan C. (2011). The Practice of Teaching: A Narrative and Case-Study Approach. ISBN 9781478609865.
- "Boys, Men, and Sports" Masculinities in Contemporary American Culture: An Intersectional Approach. Retrieved 2019-04-26.
- "Premise 3" Narrowing the Achievement Gap: Parental Engagement with Children’s Learning. Retrieved 2019-04-26.
- "About Us". Roots of Action. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- "Marilyn Price-Mitchell PhD" Edutopia. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- "The Right Stuff: Do innovators share similar DNA?" The Henry Ford Magazine. Retrieved 2019-04-26.
- "96: Marilyn Price-Mitchell, PhD: Get to Know Your Teen" Parenting Teen. Retrieved 2019-04-26.
- "How to Talk to Kids about Positive Internal Strengths" Dr. Robyn Podcast. Retrieved 2019-04-26.
- "Teen role models -- they aren't who you think they are". NBC News. June 24, 2014. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- "How to teach your kids it's OK to have less than their friends" Today. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- "When Your Kid Makes a Mistake" Parents.com. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- Jaimie Zinski, "How to Be a Positive Role Model for Teens" Modern Mom. Demand Media. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- "More High School Students Taking Internships". Arkansas Matters. April 22, 2014. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- Slade, Shelby (July 14, 2015). "Who is responsible for teaching kids to be good citizens?". Deseret News. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- "We Have the Answers" The Crucial Voice of the People, Past and Present.
- Shaked, Haim; Schechter, Chen (1963). "Systems school leadership: exploring an emerging construct". Journal of Educational Administration. 52 (6): 792–811. doi:10.1108/JEA-07-2013-0081. ISSN 0957-8234.
- Wartell, Michael A. (2013). "Historic Changes, Expanding Responsibilities for Higher Education". Journal of College and Character. 14 (2): 165–170. doi:10.1515/jcc-2013-0021. S2CID 145263671.
- "Adopt-a-School Program" Leadership: School Board Superintendent Principal. Retrieved 2019-04-26.
- Shaked, Haim; Schechter, Chen (December 2013). "Seeing wholes: The concept of systems thinking and its implementation in school leadership". International Review of Education. 59 (6): 771–791. Bibcode:2013IREdu..59..771S. doi:10.1007/s11159-013-9387-8. S2CID 144568453.
- Nicol Watsona, Terri; Bogotch, Ira (2015). "Reframing Parent Involvement: What Should Urban School Leaders Do Differently?". Leadership and Policy in Schools. 14 (3): 257–278. doi:10.1080/15700763.2015.1024327. S2CID 146188680.