|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015)|
She lives in New York City and has appeared in film, television, in theatre on Broadway, off-Broadway and in major regional theatres, and has performed in concert in New York City and many cities across the United States.
Sokol attended Calvin Coolidge High School in Washington, D.C. and New York University. She began her professional career in 1966 as a belly dancer in the national production of Man of La Mancha. She won an Obie Award for Distinguished Performance by an Actress in 1972 for her performance in a Chelsea Theater Center production of The Beggar's Opera. She has worked as a comedian, singer, and cabaret performer. In 2012-2013 she starred in the off-Broadway production Old Jews Telling Jokes. She has taught as a Distinguished Lecturer in the theatre program at Lehman College. She currently portrays Agnes Vertrulli on the popular web series Submissions Only.
- The Great Santa Claus Switch, Additional Muppet (1970)
- The Hospital, Lady Lib (1971)
- The Front, Sandy (1976)
- Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, Ma Otter (1977)
- The Goodbye Girl, Linda (1977)
- Foul Play, Stella (1978)
- Something Short of Paradise, Ruthie Miller (1979)
- The Last Married Couple in America, Alice Squib (1980)
- Can't Stop the Music, Lulu Brecht (1980) (Nominated for a Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Supporting Actress)
- Scalpels, Dr. Betty Hacker (1980)
- Crocodile Dundee II, Doris (1988)
- Family Business, Marie (1989)
- Men Lie, Witness (1994)
- The Basketball Diaries, Chanting Woman (1995)
- Man on the Moon, Madam (1999)
- Big Apple, Ms. Callahan (2002)
- The Producers, Bag Lady (2005)
- Lucky Days, Cherie (2008)
- Musical Chairs, Mrs. Greenbaum (2011)
- Wounded Warrior, Grandma Grace (2011)
- Unplugging Aunt Vera, Aunt Vera (2015)
- Sam, Mrs. Goldfarb (2015)
- Sesame Street, Various, 20 episodes, 1972 - 1991
- Barney Miller, Dr. Lorraine Dooley, 1 episode, 1977
- Joe Bash, Betty, 1 episode, 1986
- Law & Order, Mrs. Levine/ Marilee Katz, 2 episodes, 1991 - 1996
- Sex and the City, Dr. Velma Rubin, 1 episode, 1999
- Are We There Yet?, Old Woman, 1 episode, 2011
- Submissions Only, Agnes Vetrulli, 7 episodes, 2014
- Difficult People, Older Woman, 1 episode, 2015
Notable theater productions
- Year Boston Won the Pennant (1969)
- The Great God Brown, Cybel,Dec. 10, 1972 - Jan. 13, 1973
- Don Juan, Matherine, Dec. 11, 1972 - Jan. 13, 1973
- Elephant Steps (1974) (in the role of Ragtime Lady, her performance of "Watch Me Put My Right Foot Through the Door" has been captured on the cast album)
- Welcome to the Club, Arlene Metzler, Apr. 13 - 22, 1989
- Guilt Without Sex (one woman show, 1991)
- Conversations with My Father, Hannah de Blinde, Mar. 22, 1992 - Mar. 14, 1993
- Shlemiel the First (1994-1997)
- Angel Levine (1995)
- Sam and Itkeh (1997)
- If Memory Serves (1999)
- Closet Chronicles (2003)
- In the Wings (2005)
- Old Jews Telling Jokes (2013)
- Ellen Stern, "Suddenly It's Sokol", New York, October 24, 1977.
- Audrey Berman, "17th Annual 'Obies'", The Village Voice, May 11, 1972.
- Stephen Holden, "Cabaret: Marilyn Sokol Sings", The New York Times, February 4, 1984.
- Stephen Holden, "Cabaret: Marilyn Sokol", The New York Times, September 10, 1987.
- Neal Conan, "'Old Jews' Take Jokes To The Stage", Talk of the Nation, June 14, 2012.
- "Professor Sokol Praised for Role in 'Love Divided By/Times Three'", Lehman College, October 21, 2010.
- "Sokol Signs to be Paranoid", The Spokesman-Review, December 3, 1977.
- Stephen Holden, "Review/Cabaret; Marilyn Sokol's Way With Guilt", February 7, 1991.