|Full name||Marilynn Smith|
April 13, 1929 |
|College||University of Kansas|
|Former tour(s)||LPGA Tour (Founder)|
|Number of wins by tour|
|Best results in LPGA major championships
|Western Open||3rd: 1963|
|Titleholders C'ship||Won: 1963, 1964|
|ANA Inspiration||CUT: 1984, 1987|
|Women's PGA C'ship||5th/T5: 1961, 1966, 1972|
|U.S. Women's Open||3rd/T3: 1964, 1965, 1968|
|du Maurier Classic||DNP|
|Achievements and awards|
|World Golf Hall of Fame||2006 (member page)|
|LPGA Most Improved Player||1963|
|LPGA Patty Berg Award||1979|
Marilynn Smith (born April 13, 1929) is an American former professional golfer. She was one of the thirteen founders of the LPGA in 1950. She won two major championship and 21 LPGA Tour events in all. She is a member of the World Golf Hall of Fame.
Smith was born in Topeka, Kansas. She started playing golf at age 12. She was a three-time winner of the Kansas State Amateur from 1946-48. She won the 1949 national individual intercollegiate golf championship while attending the University of Kansas.
Smith turned pro in 1949 and joined the Spalding staff. She was one of the thirteen women who founded the LPGA in 1950. She won her first tournament in 1952 at the Fort Wayne Open. She would go on to win a total of 21 events on the LPGA Tour, including two major championships, the 1963 and 1964 Titleholders Championships. She finished in the top ten on the money list nine times between 1961 and 1972, with her best finishes being fourth places in 1963, 1968 and 1970. She was named the LPGA Most Improved Player in 1963. She was the LPGA's president from 1958 to 1960. She was selected for membership of the World Golf Hall of Fame in the Lifetime Achievement category in June 2006 and was inducted in October 2006.
In 1973 she became the first woman to work on a men's golf television broadcast.
Professional wins (23)
LPGA Tour wins (21)
- 1954 (1) Fort Wayne Open
- 1955 (2) Heart of America Open, Mile High Open
- 1958 (1) Jacksonville Open
- 1959 (1) Memphis Open
- 1962 (2) Sunshine Open, Waterloo Open
- 1963 (4) Titleholders Championship, Peach Blossom Open, Eugene Ladies' Open, Cavern City Open
- 1964 (2) Titleholders Championship, Albuquerque Pro-Am
- 1965 (1) Peach Blossom Open
- 1966 (2) St. Petersburg Women's Open, Louise Suggs Delray Beach Invitational
- 1967 (2) St. Petersburg Orange Classic, Babe Zaharias Open
- 1968 (1) O'Sullivan Open
- 1970 (1) Women's Golf Charities Open
- 1972 (1) Pabst Ladies Classic
LPGA majors are shown in bold.
Other wins (2)
|1963||Titleholders Championship||E (72-75-69-76=292)||Playoff 1||Mickey Wright|
|1964||Titleholders Championship||+1 (73-66-77-73=289)||1 stroke||Mickey Wright|
1 In an 18-hole playoff, Smith 72, Wright 73
- LPGA founder Smith selected for World Golf Hall of Fame, pgatour.com, June 7, 2006.
- Marilynn Smith, golf.com,