||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
In 1986 Marimar Torres embarked on a project to plant a 60-acre (240,000 m2) vineyard on the western hills of DO Russian River Valley, in Green Valley AVA, sub-appellation of Sonoma County, very close to the Pacific: with a cold microclimate that is suitable for Chardonnay and Pinot noir. The vineyard is called Don Miguel, after her father, Miguel Torres Carbó, who oversaw the worldwide expansion of the Torres family business. Of the vineyards 60 acres 30 are planted with Chardonnay and the other 30 with Pinot noir.
The Doña Margarita vineyard, named after Marimar’s mother, was planted in 2002 in the Freestone Valley of the Sonoma Coast AVA. Although the estate has 180 acres (0.73 km2), only 12 of these have been earmarked for vines and planted with Pinot noir. A large area of the estate remains uncultivated with wildlife and indigenous plant species.
At the Sonoma vineyard, the estate utilizes traditional Mediterranean viticultural practices, such as a vertical trellis for the vines, the choice of rootstocks that are more resistant to phylloxera and a planting density of 2 m x 1m (2,000 vines per acre). Since 2003 both vineyards have been subject to organic cultivation.
The winery, with a capacity of 15,000 cases is located at the top of a hill in the middle of the vineyard.
- Article in the Diario El Mundo. Magazine. La española que triunfa en California (The Spanish Woman who has triumphed in California). No. 425. Sunday 18 November 2007
- Magazine Todo Vino.com. Marimar Torres: Soy la prueba más clara de que se puede sobrevivir sin Parker (I’m the living proof that you can survive without Parker), September 2007
- Magazine (ask?) Comer& Beber. Marimar Torres, seducida por California (Marimar Torres, Seduced by California), December 2006
- Mauricio Wiesenthal (2001-09-01). Salvat del vino: diccionario. ISBN 978-84-345-0932-0.
- Article in the newspaper La Vanguardia: Torres juega fuerte en California (Torres, Playing to Win in California). Date: 1/01/2003