(Upper) Marin Creek
Village Creek (Lower Marin Creek)
Daylighted portion of lower Marin Creek (Village Creek) in the Gill Tract, UC Village area
|Part of||Codornices Creek|
|City||Berkeley and Albany, California|
|- location||Berkeley Hills|
|Mouth||Eastshore embayment, San Francisco Bay|
|- location||Albany Beach, United States|
The creek runs from the Berkeley Hills through the cities of Berkeley and Albany to San Francisco Bay. Throughout much of its course, it runs in culverts. Below San Pablo Avenue through the University Village, it runs in the open in several stretches. It was daylighted in the course of the construction of the Target store between Eastshore Highway and the Union Pacific tracks. The creek empties into a Slough_(hydrology) it shares with Codornices Creek and Schoolhouse Creek. The slough, which has been largely filled in, lies between the Golden Gate Fields racetrack and the Eastshore Freeway.
Open sections of the creek are maintained by Friends of the Five Creeks, a community organization.
In the early 20th century, a portion of the creek flowed through a channel in the center of Marin Avenue in Albany, which has since been culverted. In fact the creek has been culverted nearly in its entirety under Marin Avenue. Culverting of this creek has led to flooding and drainage problems in Albany, as this practice is not a sound nor permanent method of containing drainwater.
The University of California Berkeley daylighted a portion Lower Marin or Village Creek. The 900-foot (0.27 km) stretch of the creek through UC Village has been modeled into an 1,125-foot (0.34 km) 0.77 acre (.31 hectares) riparian habitat with the purposes of habitat restoration and community protection from a 100 year flood.
- Codornices Creek Watershed Map, Guide to San Francisco Bay Area Creeks, museumca.org, Museum of California, retrieved March 12, 2008
- Creek mouths along the Bay Trail in Berkeley, Albany, and south Richmond, by Susan Schwartz, Friends of Five Creeks, March 9, 2003, retrieved March 12, 2008
- Marin Creek, ACME.com, retrieved March 12, 2008
- Eastshore State Park Walk, The Pre-Goldrush Waterfront, Susan Schwartz, October 1999, retrieved March 12, 2008
- M, Diablo Audubon, retrieved March 12, 2008
- CITY OF ALBANY CITY COUNCIL AGENDA STAFF REPORT, February 4, 2008, retrieved March 12, 2008
- Post Project Appraisal of Village Creek Restoration, Albany, CA , by Melissa Asher and Kaumudi Atapattu, Fall 2005, retrieved March 12, 2008
- Friends of the Five Creeks - maps of Marin/Village Creek.