Marin Museum of Contemporary Art
The Marin Museum of Contemporary Art (MarinMOCA) is located in Novato, California, United States. The museum includes several galleries, over fifty artist studios, a classroom wing for studio art classes, and a museum store. The MarinMOCA presents over ten contemporary art exhibitions each year including paintings, prints, photography, multi-media works, ceramics and sculpture. The exhibitions feature a broad selection of local, national and international artists. MarinMOCA is known for its annual Altered Book Exhibition and Fundraiser which displays 150 book art creations which are auctioned to the public. Since 1998, the organization has presented the "Legends of the Bay Area" exhibition each spring which honors a celebrated San Francisco Bay Area artist.
MarinMOCA is a membership organization with more than 150 member artists whose work is displayed semi-annually in the galleries. In partnership with the City of Novato, the museum offers an artist-in-residence program which includes public programming, such as workshops and classes. MarinMOCA provides annual art enrichment programs for public schools and offers more than 200 studio art classes for adults.
The 1,700 square feet (160 m2) museum is housed within Marin County's Novato Art Center in Building 500, once the Headquarters of the decommissioned Hamilton Air Force Base. The architectural style, resembling a California mission, was in keeping with the airfield's Spanish eclectic style with features such as reinforced concrete, stucco exteriors, hollow tile, and Mission tile roofs. The front facade is fashioned of California Churrigueresque concrete castings. The interior includes concrete beams painted to resemble wood.
- Novato Historical Guild; Vela, Ron (7 October 2009). Novato. Arcadia Publishing. pp. 61–. ISBN 978-0-7385-7194-2. Retrieved 21 June 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Chappell, Gordon. "Historic Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields: Hamilton Air Force Base (Air Corps Station, San Rafael; Hamilton Field, Hamilton Army Air Field)". California State Military Department - The California State Military Museum. Retrieved 28 June 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Hamilton Army Air Field Discontiguous Historic District". National Park Service. Retrieved 28 June 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Todd, Gail (November 26, 2009). "Hamilton Field, Novato: Old base has new appeal". SFGate. Retrieved 28 June 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Bensen, Nick (June 21, 2012). "Things to do and see in Marin County, June 21 through 28, 2012". Marin Independent Journal. Archived from the original on 25 June 2012. Retrieved 22 June 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Marin Museum of Contemporary Art Summer National Juried Exhibition". Marin Magazine. Retrieved 22 June 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)[permanent dead link]