Marina High School (Huntington Beach, California)
|Marina High School|
15871 Springdale Street
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Live. Breathe. Vikings.|
|School district||Huntington Beach Union High School District|
|Number of students||2,443 (2018-19)|
|Student to teacher ratio||24.92|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue, Gold, & Columbia Blue|
|Athletics conference||CIF Southern Section |
Marina High School is a public high school located in the northwest corner of Huntington Beach, California which first began operating in 1963. Marina is part of the Huntington Beach Union High School District, which includes several other area high schools. The school is located on Springdale Street between Edinger Avenue and McFadden Avenue. In 2009, the school was named a California Distinguished School, the highest honor given to schools in California.
Marina's athletic teams are known as the Vikings and their school colors are Navy Blue, Columbia Blue, and Gold. They compete in the Big 4 League of the Golden West Conference California Interscholastic Federation's (CIF) Southern Section. Marina has no on-campus stadium and plays most of its football home games at nearby Westminster High School.
In 2007, Marina Boys Basketball broke the National record for 3-point shots made in a season, making 437 three-pointers.
Beginning in 2014, the woodshop class of the school (whose mascot is a Viking) began planning, funding, and constructing a replica of a Viking ship. In May 2016 the ship sailed on its maiden voyage at Sunset Aquatic Marina; short ocean-going trips to Long Beach and Catalina Island are planned for the future.
- Daric Barton, professional baseball player
- Jake Bauers, professional baseball player
- Robin Beauregard, Olympic medalist
- Vanessa Laine Bryant, model, dancer
- Johnny Christ, bassist for hard rock/metal band, Avenged Sevenfold
- Evelyn Cisneros, ballerina, former principal dancer for the San Francisco Ballet
- Kevin Elster, former MLB baseball player
- Bob Forrest, vocalist of the bands Thelonious Monster and The Bicycle Thief
- Chanda Gunn, Olympic bronze medalist in 2006, women's ice hockey goaltender
- Adam Hayward, NFL football player for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Alan Knipe, head coach of the Long Beach State 49ers men's volleyball team and former head coach of the United States men's national volleyball team
- Dave Mustaine, lead vocalist and guitarist for hard rock/metal band, Megadeth
- Natalie Nakase, basketball player and coach
- Marc Newfield, former MLB baseball player
- Lute Olson, NCAA Champion basketball coach 
- Cherokee Parks, former NBA basketball player
- Tony Parrish, former NFL football player
- Joe Penny, actor 
- Justin Sellers, infielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates
The demographics of Marina High School are as follows:
- Two Races:2.9%,
- American Indian:5.9 %,
- Pacific Islander:.6%
- "Marina High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved May 4, 2020.
- "2009 Distinguished Middle and High Schools". www.cde.ca.gov. California Department of Education. Retrieved April 2, 2009.
- "California teen named nation's first transgender homecoming queen". Yahoo News. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- Ryan, Kennedy (September 20, 2013). "Transgender Teen Named Homecoming Queen in Huntington Beach". Local News. KTLA.com. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Brittany Woolsey, "Students build a Viking ship and launch it", Los Angeles Times, May 26, 2016.
- Sciacca, Mike (2008-08-20). "Former Viking to return to O.C. facing Angels". Huntington Beach Independent. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- "Eric Sondheimer: Stress is a foreign notion to Marina's Jake Bauers". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 17, 2014.
- "Robin Beauregard Profile". UCLA Water Polo web site. University of California, Los Angeles. Archived from the original on June 17, 2008. Retrieved April 3, 2009.
- "Everything You Need to Know About Kobe Bryant". Archived from the original on February 19, 2006. Retrieved October 16, 2007. – Wayback Machine cache from February 19, 2006
- "La Habra Theater: Acting for Community". LA Times. October 3, 1996. Retrieved August 24, 2019.
- "Elster Signs With Mets". Los Angeles Times. 1987-02-26.
- "Marina High". Los Angeles Times. 1998-06-03. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Gunn Wins NCAA-wide Sportsmanship Award". US College Hockey Online. 2004-08-08. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Mauney, Matt (2013-08-22). "Adam Hayward finds his place in Plant City". Plant City Times and Observer. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Alan Knipe: 49er Profile". longbeachstate.com. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Natalie Nakase continues to dream big, beat odds". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- Penner, Mike (1992-02-02). "Investing in Stars of the Future". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Joe Penny - IMDb
- Holmes, Baxter (2012-05-30). "Justin Sellers gets a lot of ink with the Dodgers". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Introducing 2018 California Staff Team". 6pointssports.org. May 11, 2018.
- Marina High School website
- Huntington Beach Union High School District website
- Marina High School's 2006 STAR (California Standardized Testing and Reporting) test scores
- Marina Football Website
- Marina Marching Band/Concert Band/Jazz Band/Orchestra/Drumline/Color Guard
- Marina Choral/Vocal Music Website