|Marina Garcia Marmolejo|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas|
October 4, 2011
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Samuel B. Kent|
1971 (age 45–46)
Nuevo Laredo, Mexico
|Education||University of the Incarnate Word B.A.
St. Mary's University, Texas M.A.
St. Mary's University School of Law J.D.
Marina Garcia Marmolejo (born 1971) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
Early life and education
Born Marina Garcia  in Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico. She is a naturalized United States citizen. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of the Incarnate Word in 1992. She then attended St. Mary's University in San Antonio, Texas, where she earned a Master of Arts degree and her Juris Doctor, both in 1996. In 1993, Marmolejo served as a substitute teacher in the United Independent School District in Laredo, Texas. From 1993 - 1996, she worked as a research assistant to Professor Raul M. Sanchez at St. Mary's University School of Law where she also worked as a Property tutor and a student attorney at the Criminal Justice Clinic.
Before becoming a federal judge, Marmolejo had been a partner with the law firm of Reid Collins Tsai LLP. She previously helped open the San Antonio legal office of Thompson & Knight, where she served as Of Counsel from 2007 to 2009. She is also a former Assistant United States Attorney and began her legal career as an Assistant Federal Public Defender.
Federal judicial service
During the 111th Congress, Democrats from the Texas House delegation and Republican Senators John Cornyn and Kay Bailey Hutchison agreed to recommend Marmolejo for a Laredo vacancy on the Southern District of Texas. On July 28, 2010, President Barack Obama nominated Marmolejo to replace Samuel B. Kent. The Senate confirmed Marmolejo by unanimous consent on October 3, 2011, and she received her judicial commission on October 4, 2011.
Consideration for Fifth Circuit
Marmolejo has been considered a candidate for a vacancy on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, along with District Judge Xavier Rodriguez.
- "United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary, Questionnaire for Judicial Nominees" (PDF). United States Senate. Retrieved 1 November 2010.
- Ex-prosecutor nominated for south Texas judge[permanent dead link], Associated Press (July 28, 2010).
- President Obama Names Marina Marmolejo to the United States District Court, whitehouse.gov (July 28, 2010).
- "Garcia Marmolejo, Marina - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- Gary Martin, Obama names Laredo lawyer to federal judge post, Houston Chronicle (July 28, 2010).
- Gary Martin, Texas Dems criticize Obama on slow judicial appointments, Houston Chronicle (May 3, 2010).
- Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate, 7/28/10, whitehouse.gov (July 28, 2010).
- Contreras, Guillermo (December 1, 2013). "Another federal judge may go". San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved April 24, 2015.
Samuel B. Kent
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas