|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
In 2000 Marinette Marine, a privately held company, was purchased by The Manitowoc Company for approximately $48 million. On August 4, 2008, the Manitowoc Company announced that it had signed an agreement to sell their Manitowoc Marine Group division, which includes Marinette Marine, to Fincantieri Marine Group Holdings, Inc. and minority investor Lockheed Martin. The sale was completed on January 1, 2009 to Fincantieri. The net purchase price in the all-cash deal was approximately $120 million.
Since its founding, Marinette Marine has produced more than 1,300 vessels. While primarily a producer of commercial vessels, it has also taken a number of contracts for the United States Navy, primarily for auxiliary vessels. Most recently, Marinette Marine became part of a team with Lockheed Martin to produce one of two Littoral Combat Ship designs for the Navy, resulting in the launch of the USS Freedom on 23 September 2006. In 2010, Marinette Marine bid for work on the Ship-to-Shore Connector, which would replace the Landing Craft Air Cushion (LCAC).
All Marinette Marine facilities are located on the Menominee River in Marinette, Wisconsin. Some of the specific facilities they comprise are as follows:
- 300,000 square feet (30,000 m2) of indoor ship construction space
- 53,000 square feet (4,900 m2) of indoor warehousing and receiving space
- Ship launching facility for up to 4,500 long tons
- Ship transport system for up to 1,600 tons
- Ship module movers for up to 160 tons
- 275 ton yard crane
- 100 ton yard crane
- 40 ton yard cranes
Ships built by Marinette Marine include:
- Freedom-class littoral combat ship, United States Navy
- USS Freedom (LCS-1), launched in 2006 and delivered 2008
- USS Fort Worth (LCS-3), launched 2010 and delivered 2012
- USS Milwaukee (LCS-5), launched December 2013 and delivered November 2015
- USS Detroit (LCS-7), launched October 2014
- USS Little Rock (LCS-9), launched July, 2015
- USS Sioux City (LCS-11), launched 30 January 2016
- USS Wichita (LCS-13), launched 17 September 2016
- USCGC Mackinaw, launched in 2005
- USCGC Hollyhock (WLB-214), launched in 2003
- ARRV Sikuliaq launched October 2012
- NOAAS Reuben Lasker launched June 2012
- Staten Island Ferries, New York City Department of Transportation
Tug boats built
- MV Ocean Reliance (2002) and MV Coastal Reliance (2002), pusher tugs for Crowley Maritime petroleum barges on the west coast.
- "02/01/2009". fincantieri.com.
- "Marinette Marine Corp., Marinette WI". Ship Building History. shipbuildinghistory.com. April 19, 2015. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- The Manitowoc Company (2008). "Press Releases". Retrieved 2008-09-02.
- "Manitowoc Company (MTW) Completes Sale of its Marine Segment to Fincantieri Marine Group". StreetInsider.com.
- "Marinette Marine to build ship-to-shore connector". 2010-09-15. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "USS Detroit commissioning pushed back to October". Retrieved 5 July 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marinette Marine.|