|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
|Date of birth||8 October 1983|
|Place of birth||Vizzolo Predabissi, Italy|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|2009–2010||→ Reggina (loan)||17||(0)|
|2010||→ Sampdoria (loan)||7||(0)|
|2005||Italy U-21 Serie B||1||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 28 August 2010.
Mario Cassano (born 8 October 1983) is an Italian professional footballer
Born in Vizzolo Predabissi, Lombardy, Cassano started his senior career at Serie D side Voghera, located at near-by province. In summer 2001, he joined A.C. Fiorentina and played twice for first team. In August 2002, after the bankrupt of La Viola, he joined Empoli F.C. which also located in Tuscany. After 3 seasons as backup goalkeeper, he joined Serie B side Piacenza, where he played as first choice except 2006–07 season behind Ferdinando Coppola (and also injured) and first season shared the role with Gabriele Aldegani. In 2009–10 season, he swapped club with Christian Puggioni, both joined the team on loan. In January 2010, Sampdoria signed Cassano on loan, due to the injury of their first choice Luca Castellazzi and sent Vincenzo Fiorillo to Reggina on loan. However he worked as backup of Marco Storari, another new signing. At the end of the loan spell, he came back to Piacenza. Cassano was the first choice until December 2011. He was questioned by the prosecutor on 21 March 2012.
Cassano was banned from football in June 2012 and Piacenza also folded at the end of season.
Italian football scandal
On 1 June 2012 the prosecutor requested to ban Cassano for 5 years due to involvement in 2011–12 Italian football scandal. It was suspected that the match AlbinoLeffe–Piacenza on 20 December 2010, Atalanta–Piacenza on 19 March 2011 were fixed. Eventually FIGC announced to ban him for 5 years on 18 June 2012.
Cassano has capped for Italy U20 team, the feeder team of U21 team, which the coach also tested several other players. He also received several U21 call-up but did not play.
- Di Ragogna, Dante (18 March 2005). "L' Italia si diverte Brilla Vantaggiato". La Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian). Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- "Fiorentina players seek new homes". Sky Sports. 2 August 2002. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- "Infortunio a Cassano. Esordio di Coppola". Piacenza Calcio (in Italian). 22 August 2006. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- "Risolto il trasferimento temporaneo di Mario Cassano". Reggina Calcio (in Italian). 14 January 2010. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- "Mario Cassano è blucerchiato, Fiorillo alla Reggina". UC Sampdoria (in Italian). 13 January 2010. Retrieved 14 January 2010.
- "CALCIO SCOMMESSE: RINVIATA L’AUDIZIONE DI PEDERSOLI. IL CALENDARIO" (in Italian). FIGC. 20 March 2012. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- "Comunicato Ufficiale N°101/CDN (2011–12)" (PDF). Commissione Disciplinare Nazionale (in Italian) (FIGC). 18 June 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2012.