This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
12 April 1952|
6 February 2006 (aged 53)|
Brighton, Victoria, Australia
|Cause of death||Shot dead by Rodney Collins|
|Criminal charge||Conspiracy to murder Carl Williams|
|Allegiance||The Carlton Crew|
|Motive||Conspiracy to murder Carl Williams|
|Conviction(s)||Arson, fraud, drug trafficking|
Mario Condello (12 April 1952 – 6 February 2006) was an Italian-Australian organised crime figure. Condello, once a lawyer, was a member of the Carlton Crew, and is believed to have been a money launderer for Melbourne's Calabrian mafia, the Ndrangheta. He was a key figure in the Melbourne gangland killings.
Condello was born in Calabria, Italy and was at one time a lawyer in Melbourne, Australia. He had a criminal record consisting of arson, fraud and drug trafficking and was also suspected by police to have been involved in multiple murders.
In June 2004, an attempt on Condello's life was foiled when two gunmen were caught by police outside Brighton Cemetery near his house.
Condello was shot dead in his driveway on 6 February 2006, a day before he was due to stand trial for conspiracy to murder Williams. Police feared that his murder would be the resumption of the gangland wars. Victoria Police believed hitman Rodney Collins killed Mario Condello as a paid hit. Collins is serving a life sentence with a minimum of 32 years for a 1987 double murder for which he was convicted in May 2010.
- "Guns coudn't protect mafia money man". Herald Sun. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- "Gangland target ready to forgive". The Age. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- Moynihan, Stephen (5 March 2005). "Condello wins fourth application for bail". The Age. AAP. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Condello gunned down in Brighton". The Age. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- "Hundreds say goodbye to 'a man among men'". The Age. 11 February 2006. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
|This Australian biographical article related to crime is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|