Mario Golf: World Tour
|Mario Golf: World Tour|
Packaging artwork released for all territories.
|Developer(s)||Camelot Software Planning|
Mario Golf: World Tour (マリオゴルフ ワールドツアー Mario Gorufu Wārudo Tsuā?) is a golf video game developed by Camelot Software Planning and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo 3DS. The game was first announced on February 14, 2013, in a Nintendo Direct presentation. It is the fifth game in the series, and is the first one in a decade, since 2004's Mario Golf: Advance Tour for the Game Boy Advance. The game was initially scheduled for the second half of 2013, but was eventually delayed into May 2014. It was released worldwide in May 2014.
Mario Golf: World Tour is a golf simulation video game with the basic premise mirrors the basis of golf. Controlling characters from the Mario franchise, the player aims to hit a golf ball with a golf club across a golf course in order to hit it into the target hole in the lowest number of strokes. The game in particular employs an arcade-like approach to golf, emphasizing simple, straightforward controls and faster paced gameplay over realism. Despite this, some courses are modeled to look like real-life courses, while others are Super Mario themed environments. The game continues to employ the gameplay mechanic of "Super Shots"; when chosen by the player, they allow for extra distance when hitting the ball, although only a limited number of them are allocated per course, creating a strategic aspect to their use.
Mario Golf: World Tour has received generally favorable reviews from critics. Many critics praised the gameplay and online functionality, but criticized the Castle Club mode for being confusing. The game holds an average score of 78 on Metacritic.
IGN gave Mario Golf World Tour an 8.6 rating, summarising "You don’t have to be a hardcore golf fan to get hooked on Mario Golf: World Tour. It rewards good play, gives plenty to do, and is a great teacher."
- McElroy, Griffin (2013-02-06). "Mario Golf: World Tour announced for Nintendo 3DS, coming this summer". Polygon. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Mario Golf: World Tour Announced for 3DS". IGN. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- Plante, Chris (2013-01-22). "Nintendo Direct for Feb. 14: Mario Golf, Animal Crossing and more". Polygon. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- Liebl, Matt. "Mario Golf World Tour brings golf to the 3DS". GameZone. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- Krupa, Daniel. "E3 2013: Mario Golf World Tour Delayed To 2014". IGN. Retrieved August 2013.
- "Mario Golf: World Tour Tees Off On 3DS This Summer - 3DS News @ Nintendo Life". Nintendolife.com. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "New Mario Golf Coming to 3DS This Summer From Camelot [Video added]". Kotaku.com. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Mario Golf World Tour Announced". NowGamer. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Mario Golf: World Tour Pushed Back To 2014". Nintendolife.com. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- "Mario Golf: World Tour still on track for 2014". VG247. 2013-08-03. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- Albert, Brian. "Mario Golf: World Tour Review". IGN. Retrieved June 2014.