|Cardinal, Apostolic Nuncio to Syria|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||30 December 2008|
|Predecessor||Giovanni Battista Morandini|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Deacon of Santa Maria delle Grazie alle Fornaci fuori Porta Cavalleggeri|
5 July 1970|
by Giuseppe Carraro
25 September 1999|
by Angelo Sodano
19 November 2016|
by Pope Francis
|Birth name||Mario Zenari|
5 January 1946|
Villafranca di Verona, Verona, Italy
"Levate Oculos Vestros"|
(Lift up your eyes)
|Coat of arms|
Ordination history of
|Reference style||His Eminence|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
Mario Zenari (born 5 January 1946) is an Italian prelate of the Catholic Church who has been a cardinal since 2016. He has served his entire ecclesiastical career in the diplomatic service of the Holy See, holding senior positions beginning in 1999. He has been Apostolic Nuncio to Syria since 30 December 2008. He was nuncio to Sri Lanka from 2004 to 2008.
Mario Zenari was born in 1946 in Verona. He received his ordination to the priesthood on 5 July 1970 in Verona from the Venerable Giuseppe Carraro while later being appointed to several diplomatic positions to non-governmental organizations by Pope John Paul II in 1994. He was later named as the Titular Archbishop of Iulium Carnicum on 12 July 1999, while simultaneously being named as the apostolic nuncio to two African nations (Niger and Cote d'Ivoire); he was later named a week later on 24 July as the nuncio to Burkina Faso.
He received his episcopal consecration on 25 September 1999 from Cardinal Angelo Sodano and served as the nuncio to those three nations until 10 May 2004 when he was removed from those positions in favor of being named as the nuncio to Sri Lanka. Zenari remained there until 30 December 2008 when Pope Benedict XVI appointed him as the nuncio to Syria where he was stationed during the onslaught of the Syrian Civil War that broke out in 2011.
Pope Francis on 9 October 2016 announced that he would create Archbishop Zenari a cardinal on 19 November 2016 in the papal consistory, citing his work for the "beloved and martyred Syria". He was made a Cardinal Deacon on that day and assigned to the church of Santa Maria delle Grazie alle Fornaci fuori Porta Cavalleggeri. Francis made him a member of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches on 23 December 2017.
- "Annuncio di Concistoro il 19 novembre per la creazione di nuovi Cardianali". Holy See. 9 October 2016. Retrieved 10 October 2016.
- "Titular churches and diaconates of the new cardinals, 19.11.2016" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 19 November 2016. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Resignations and Appointments, 23.12.2017" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 23 December 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "Zenari Card. Mario". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 20 November 2016. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- "Msgr. Zenari, Cardinal in Damascus: Amid war and violence, Pope points to peace through diplomacy". Asia News. 10 October 2016. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- Catholic Hierarchy
|Catholic Church titles|
Alfred Kipkoech Arap Rotich
| Titular Archbishop of Iulium Carnicum
Duraisamy Simon Lourdusamy
| Cardinal Deacon of Santa Maria delle Grazie alle Fornaci fuori Porta Cavalleggeri
| Apostolic Nuncio to the Ivory Coast, Niger and Burkina Faso
Mario Roberto Cassari
Thomas Yeh Sheng-nan
| Apostolic Nuncio to Sri Lanka
Giovanni Battista Morandini
| Apostolic Nuncio to Syria