Marion Bay, South Australia
|Population||172 (2016 census)|
|Location||151 km (94 mi) SW of Adelaide|
|LGA(s)||Yorke Peninsula Council|
|Region||Yorke and Mid North|
Marion Bay is a small township in the Australian state of South Australia at the southern tip of the Yorke Peninsula. At the 2016 census, Marion Bay had a population of 172. Historically, it formed part of Narungga lands.
It is surrounded by beaches and is the gateway to the Innes National Park. The close proximity of the beach and cliffs have popularized Marion Bay as a fishing destination, with Brown Beach in the nearby Innes National Park being particularly famous among recreational fisherman as a picturesque fishing destination.
In 2008, a desalination plant was commissioned to meet the water demands of the summer tourist season. A 60 kL/d sea water reverse osmosis plant now supplies the local caravan park, residents and businesses. The plant was commissioned in response to declining bore water quality and associated problems of corrosion. The plant was designed and constructed by Osmoflo.
Notes and references
- "Search results for 'Marion Bay, LOCB' with the following datasets being selected - 'Suburbs and Localities', 'Counties', 'Local Government Areas' and 'Gazetteer'". Government of South Australia. Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Marion Bay". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- "Postcode for Marion Bay, South Australia". Postcodes Australia. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Yorke and Mid North SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- Narungga (Map). Electoral District Boundaries Commission. 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- "Federal electoral division of Grey" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- "Summary statistics STENHOUSE BAY". Bureau of Meteorology, Government of Australia. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Drinking water for a seaside tourism community". osmoflo. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marion Bay, South Australia.|