Marion Edwards Park
|Marion Edwards Park|
|Residence||Pennsylvania, United States|
|Fields||Classics and English|
|Institutions||President of Bryn Mawr College (1922 – 1942); Dean of Radcliffe College (1921-1922); instructor and acting dean at Colorado College; acting dean of Simmons College (1918-1921); acting dean Bryn Mawr College (1911)|
|Alma mater||PhD Bryn Mawr College; M.A. Bryn Mawr College; B.A. Bryn Mawr College|
|Known for||President of Bryn Mawr College|
Marion Edwards Park was the American alumna and the third president of Bryn Mawr College, following alumna M. Carey Thomas. During her tenure as a student at Bryn Mawr College, she received the Bryn Mawr European Fellowship and used it to attend the American School of Classical Studies in Athens, Greece. Park presided over the college during the Great Depression and the beginning of World War II, where she worked with other colleges to employ refugee scholars from European universities. Park was also instrumental in initiating cross-institution collaboration between Bryn Mawr College, Haverford College, Swarthmore College, and the University of Pennsylvania.
"Within its narrow classrooms the college must see to it that she [the student] is taught with breadth of view, and not only in so-called safe subjects, but in so-called dangerous subjects, in economics and history and psychology and religion; taught with sincerity which will call out sincerity in her; with imagination which will create for her a true and breathing picture of the world she is to meet; and with liberty of spirit which will make her all through her life demand ceaselessly for herself and others the same quickening air."—Marion Edwards Park, 1922
"The college must educate for a changing world ... about which we know only that it will be different from anything of which we have now had experience." — Marion Edwards Park, 1933
"The plebs in Cicero's day, a study of their provenance and of their employment" 
- "Bryn Mawr College Chooses New Head". New York Times. Feb 22, 1922. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Marion Edward Park 1922-1942". Bryn Mawr College. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Marion Edwards Park". Bryn Mawr College. Bryn Mawr College. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- The plebs in Cicero's day, a study of their provenance and of their employment. Cambridge, Massachusetts: The Cosmos Press. 1921.
- Meigs, Cornelia (1956). What Makes A College? A History Of Bryn Mawr. New York: The Macmillan Company.
- Finding Aid to the Marion Edwards Park Papers, Bryn Mawr College Library
- Works by Marion Edwards Park, at Unz.org