Marion May Campbell
Marion May Campbell
Sydney, New South Wales
|Occupation||novelist and academic|
Marion May Campbell was born in Sydney, New South Wales, 1948. Campbell earned a BA in French Literature studying first at the University of New South Wales and completing her degree at the University of Western Australia. She then pursued post-graduate study at Aix en Provence, writing a dissertation on the work of Stéphane Mallarmé and completed a PhD in Literary Studies and Creative Writing at Victoria University in 2011.
Campbell's novels explore professional and personal relationships between women and literary theoretical concerns, often in a non-standard 'experimental' writing style. In addition to novels her work includes short fiction, poetry, and essays and reviews for journals. For the stage, Campbell has written the musical theatre piece Dr Memory in the Dream Home which was first performed in 1990 and an adaption of Not Being Miriam entitled Ariadne's Understudies in 1991.
In 2013, Campbell was appointed Associate Professor of Professional and Creative Writing at Deakin University. Campbell has previously coordinated the creative writing program at the University of Melbourne.
- Shortlisted twice for the Canada-Australia Prize
- 1998 – winner of the Western Australian Premier's Book Awards for Not being Miriam
- 1999 – shortlisted for the Western Australian Premier's Book Awards for Prowler
- 2006 – shortlisted for the Western Australian Premier's Book Awards for Shadow Thief
- Campbell, Marion May (1985). Lines of flight : a novel. Fremantle, WA: Fremantle Arts Centre Press.
- — (1988). Not being Miriam. Fremantle, WA: Fremantle Arts Centre Press.
- Prowler (Fremantle Arts Centre, 1999) ISBN 1-86368-251-1
- Shadow Thief (Pandanus, 2006) ISBN 1-74076-189-8
- Konkretion (University of Western Australia Press, 2013)
- Dr Memory in the Dream Home (PICA, 1990)
- Ariadne's Understudies (PICA, 1992)
- The Half-Life of Creonite (not yet performed)
- Languish (Upswell, 2022)
- The Man on the Mantlepiece (University of Western Australia Press, 2018)
- "Marion Campbell". NNDB. Retrieved 14 September 2007.
- "Biography". University of Melbourne. Archived from the original on 29 August 2007. Retrieved 14 September 2007.
- "Marion May Campbell". Deakin University – Academia.edu. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "Western Australian Premier's Book Awards – 2006 Shortlist". State Library of Western Australia. Archived from the original on 29 August 2007. Retrieved 14 September 2007.
- "Marion May Campbell". Australian Script Centre. Archived from the original on 9 September 2007. Retrieved 14 September 2007.
- "Marion May Campbell – languish launched… – Writing, Literature and Culture @Deakin". Retrieved 17 May 2022.
- Marion M Campbell at University of Melbourne (Retrieved 14 September 2007)
- Marion M Campbell: Lecturer, Creative Writing – Biography Melbourne University, Faculty of Arts, School of Culture and Communication (Retrieved 14 September 2007)
- McCulloch, A. (2006) The Casting of Shadows and the Finding of Form. Book review: Marion Campbell, Shadow Thief (Canberra: Pandanus Books, 2006), Southerly: a review of Australian literature, Vol 66, No 2, pp. 129–133, English Association, Sydney Branch, Australia.
- Marion (May) Campbell Biography Brief Biographies, Contemporary Novelists (Retrieved 14 September 2007)