Marion McClinton is an American theatre director and playwright. He was nominated for the Tony Award for King Hedley II. He won the 2000 Vivian Robinson Audelco Black Theatre Awards, Director/Dramatic Production and the 1999–2000 Obie Awards, Direction, for Jitney, and was nominated for the Drama Desk Award.
He has directed most of August Wilson's plays, both on Broadway and regionally, and has been termed "One of the leading Wilson directors". The first premiere of Wilson's works that he directed was King Hedley II in 2001, taking over from the then-retired Lloyd Richards as Wilson's director.
He is an associate artist at Center Stage in Baltimore, Maryland, where he has directed several Wilson plays as well as Les Blancs and Splash Hatch on the E Going Down. He has directed at, among others, the Pittsburgh Public Theater (several Wilson plays), Guthrie Theater, Alabama Shakespeare Festival, and Playwrights Horizons. At the Goodman Theatre he directed a staged reading of Fences as part of the Goodman's August Wilson Celebration in February 2007. He had previously directed King Hedley II, Gem of the Ocean and Jitney at the Goodman.
- Jitney (2000 off-Broadway) - Drama Desk Award, Outstanding Director of a Play nominee
- King Hedley II (2001 Broadway) Tony Award, Best Direction of a Play nominee
- Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (2003 Broadway)
- Gem of the Ocean (2003 World premiere, Goodman Theater)
- Drowning Crow (2004 Broadway)
- Elmina's Kitchen (American premiere, 2005, Center Stage)
- Lefkowitz, David and Hernandez, Ernio."Jitney Takes Eight AUDELCO Awards for Excellence in Black Theatre", playbill.com, November 21, 2000
- Obie Awards listing, 1999-2000, infoplease.com, accessed May 29, 2009
- Simonson, Robert."Marion McClinton to Direct Wilson's Joe Turner at Missouri Rep in 2002", playbill.com, May 23, 2001
- Rawson, Christopher."Black in a white theater world",Post-Gazette Magazine, April 06, 1999
- Gener, Randy."August Wilson’s New Main Man",Village Voice, April 24, 2001
- Credits as of June 2007 americantheatrewing.org, accessed May 28, 2009
- Press release goodmantheatre, February 13, 2007
- Bacalzo, Dan."Marion McClinton to Direct Mixed Blood's Pure Confidence for Americas Off Broadway Festival; Line-up Announced", theatermania.com, April 6, 2009
- Jones, Kenneth."Regina Taylor Gives Chekhov New Wings With Drowning Crow, Opening Feb. 19", playbill.com, February 19, 2004
- Elmina's Kitchen production details centerstage.org, accessed May 28, 2009