Marion Township, Allen County, Indiana
Location in Allen County, Indiana
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||34.88 sq mi (90.35 km2)|
|• Land||34.65 sq mi (89.75 km2)|
|• Water||0.23 sq mi (0.59 km2) 0.66%|
|Elevation||804 ft (245 m)|
|• Density||111/sq mi (43.0/km2)|
|ZIP codes||46733, 46745, 46777, 46816, 46819|
|GNIS feature ID||0453602|
In September, 1834, the Commissioners of Allen County created Root Township, which embraced all of present-day Marion Township, as well as a portion of present-day Adams County. Adams County was created on February 7, 1835, leaving only a portion of Root Township still in Allen County. In August, 1835, this remainder of Root Township was reorganized and renamed Marion Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Marion Township covers an area of 34.88 square miles (90.35 km2); of this, 34.65 square miles (89.75 km2) is land and 0.23 square miles (0.59 km2), or 0.66 percent, is water.
(This list is based in part on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Adams Township (north)
- Jefferson Township (northeast)
- Madison Township (east)
- Root Township, Adams County (southeast)
- Preble Township, Adams County (south)
- Jefferson Township, Wells County (southwest)
- Pleasant Township (west)
- Wayne Township (northwest)
The township contains the following cemeteries: Antioch Lutheran, Bethel Baptist (defunct), Coleman family (defunct), Emmanuel Lutheran, Hall (disappeared), Morton family (defunct), Poe/Williamsport, St. John's Lutheran (defunct), St. Joseph Hessen Cassel Roman Catholic, St. Paul's Lutheran (defunct), and Thompson family (defunct).
- East Allen County Schools
- Indiana's 6th congressional district
- State House District 79
- State Senate District 19
- United States Census Bureau 2008 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Marion township, Allen County, Indiana". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- Newton, L. H., "Marion Township" in History of Allen County, Indiana (Chicago: Kingman Brothers, 1880), 157