Marion Township, Morgan County, Ohio
|Marion Township, Morgan County, Ohio|
Distant view of the Barkhurst Mill Covered Bridge
Location of Marion Township in Morgan County
|• Total||37.7 sq mi (97.6 km2)|
|• Land||37.7 sq mi (97.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||820 ft (250 m)|
|• Density||35.5/sq mi (13.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086690|
Marion Township is one of the fourteen townships of Morgan County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,336 people in the township, 1,031 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Penn Township - north
- Windsor Township - northeast
- Wesley Township, Washington County - southeast
- Bern Township, Athens County - south
- Ames Township, Athens County - southwest corner
- Homer Township - west
- Union Township - northwest
The village of Chesterhill is located in central Marion Township.
Marion Township is the farthest south of all of Morgan County's townships.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
As of 2007, the trustees are John Metcalf, Gary Newton, and Charles Simmons, and the clerk is Stanley Starling.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Morgan County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Marion Township Officials, Morgan County. Accessed 2007-07-02.