Marion railway station
Marion SA 5043
|Operated by||Adelaide Metro|
|Distance||11.4 km from Adelaide|
|Platforms||2 (1 Centre)|
|Opened||26 May 1954|
|Rebuilt||30 November 2013|
Until the early 1950s the Ascot Park and Oaklands stations serviced Marion with a single rail track. In 1953 the line was duplicated as far as Oaklands, and as part of that work a new station was constructed at Marion.
Marion received a station building similar to that still remaining at Woodlands Park station. In the 1960s concerns were raised regarding the safety of pedestrians crossing at the southern end of the station, where no pedestrian barriers had been installed. This lack was seen as contributing to a fatality in 1967.
In response, a pedestrian footbridge was constructed in 1970, and the then existing pedestrian maze barrier-equipped crossing at the northern end was removed. This ensured that the footbridge provided the sole personal access to both the platform and to the other side of the line. At the northern end, a more convenient low-level track crossing and station access was re-installed in the 1990s.
As part of the electrification of the line, Marion station was rebuilt in 2013, with a new waiting shelter installed, an underpass built and the bridge demolished.
As part of the electrification works on the Seaford line, an underpass was built at the northern end to replace the overpass and pedestrian crossing. The project was completed on 30 November 2013.
Local residents had expressed their preference that the overpass be replaced instead. Although it was meant to address flooding issues that had plagued the area, the underpass flooded twice in 2014.
- "Marion rail station opens Wednesday". The News. 62, (9,602). South Australia. 21 May 1954. p. 3. Retrieved 3 September 2016 – via National Library of Australia.
- Marion Station Underpass Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure 3 September 2016
- Seaford & Tonsley timetable Adelaide Metro 20 July 2014
- Dolling, Alison (1981). The History of Marion on the Sturt. Peacock Publications, Norwood.
- Tragic death in 1967 Martion Safety Blogspot
- Donley, RJR (2001). Marion 1945-2000: A Suburban City. Peacock Publications, Norwood.
- Marion Street Underpass Department of Planning, Transport & Infrastructure
- Marion Railway Station Pedestrian Access Imprpvement – Ftrquently Asked Questions[permanent dead link] Department of Planning, Transport & Infrastructure
- "Marion Station underpass completed" Railway Digest February 2014 page 19
- Angry residents oppose unsafe underpass at Marion station Adelaide Advertiser
- Students risk lives by crossing electrified rail tracks at Marion after train station flooded Adelaide Advertiser 30 June 2014
Media related to Marion railway station at Wikimedia Commons