Maripily Rivera on María Marín Live in 2017
|Born||María del Pilar Rivera Borrero
15 June 1977
Ponce, Puerto Rico
|Education||Interamerican University of Puerto Rico|
|Known for||Actress, model, television presenter|
María del Pilar Rivera Borrero was born on June 15, 1977 in Ponce, Puerto Rico. Her parents were Hector Rivera and Pilar Borrero. She earned a B.S. degree in journalism from the Interamerican University of Puerto Rico and worked as a reporter for a short time for Univision.
Rivera has been a model since 1995 when she took part in the Miss Puerto Rico Petite pageant. She was also a finalist in the 1999 Miss Puerto Rico Petite Pageant. She also starred in the reality show "Famosas VIP" in the Telefutura network. Rivera co-hosted "Eso vale" and "No te duermas" with Héctor Marcano in Puerto Rico's WAPA-TV. She also worked in JAM for Telemundo internacional. Rivera played a casino waitress in the 2009 Puerto Rican film Miente. She was expected to perform in a cameo role in a 2012 Orlando, Florida, charitable fundraising performance of the play Los Monologos de la Vagina (The Vagina Monologues), but backed out two days beforehand due to a contractual dispute and prior year's problem with expense compensation.
Rivera opened and operated a Guaynabo, Puerto Rico, fashion store for several years called Maripily Boutique, which burned down in 2007, and later reopened. Her current entrepreneurial endeavors include selling her own lines of jeans, swimwear, underwear, shoes, and handbags through the Puerto Rican chain Pompis Store (pompis is Spanish slang for buttocks). Her clothing design places special importance on flattering a range of body types, including plumper figures. In 2013, she launched her own fragance, MP by Maripily.
Rivera had a son from a relationship with José Antonio García. The son was also named José Antonio García.
Rivera married baseball star Roberto Alomar on June 1, 2009. The public has largely expressed that she married Alomar for money, a question she evaded as she exited divorce court. Rivera accused Alomar of domestic violence and a temporary injunction was granted but the charges against Alomar were later dismissed by the Court. Rivera has been called a "sex symbol", a "drama queen" and the "Paris Hilton of Puerto Rico".
In December 2013, Rivera became engaged to businessman Alberto Rodríguez and they planned a May 2014 wedding. The ceremony was to take place at the historic Ponce Cathedral in Ponce, Puerto Rico, with a reception at the equally historic Castillo Serralles castle, with Shanira Blanco scheduled to be her maid of honor. Rodriguez is Chief Operating Officer at Spanish Broadcasting System. The wedding was subsequently cancelled. The couple subsequently got together again and continued to see each other for a while. Then later that year, Maripily Rivera made accusations of domestice violence against Rodriguez resulting in his arrest on October 29, 2014. The matter was brought before judge Deborah White-Labora of the Dade County Courthouse, but was dismissed as the prosecution did not have the necessary evidence. Rodriguez was encouraged to bring charges of defamation and slander against Maripily, but responded that he did not want to pursue the matter, wanted to return to his projects at SBS, and said he "wished [Maripily] the best in her life and her career" as he left the courthouse. With that the couple ended their relationship.
- Maripily Rivera on IMDb
- Maripily rinde honor a la Virgencita de la Guadalupe. Primera Hora. San Juan, Puerto Rico. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- Miami Fashion. Archived 31 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Miami Fashion Weekly. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- De cumpleaños Maripily. Archived 4 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine. El Nuevo Dia. Guaynabo, Puerto Rico. 15 June 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Maripily se casa y tendrá una niña. Archived 31 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Yomaris Rodríguez. 23 November 2011. El Vocero. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Maripily Rivera. Grandes Estrellas. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Maripily Rivera en Mira Quién Baila. 25 August 2012. Univision. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Llegan a un acuerdo. Rita Portela López. El Vocero. San Juan, Puerto Rico. 5 June 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Maripily and Roberto Alomar divorce has Puerto Rico riveted. Colleen Jenkins. Tamp Bay Times. 4 September 2010. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Puerto Rican model Maripily Rivera arrives at the 11th annual Latin Grammy Awards in Las Vegas. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Fish, Mike (1 December 2012). "Drama follows retired baseball All-Star". ESPN.
- Vargas, Patricia (12 July 2011). "Maripily divorciada y millonaria". El Nuevo Día.
- Gómez, María Gabriela (12 July 2011). "Maripily ya esta divorciada". Primera Hora.
- Maripily Rivera. Grandes Estrellas. 2013. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Miami Fashion Week.[permanent dead link] Page 3. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Maripily arremete contra productora de Los monólogos de la vagina". PrimeraHora. 2 February 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- Palma, Marie F (27 February 2012). "Maripily no asiste a los "Monólogos de la Vagina"". starMedia USA. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Maripily Rivera". Grandes Estrellas. Batanga Entretenimiento. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Maripily estará en "Los monólogos de la vagina"". Primera Hora. 23 March 2011. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- Marcos, Billy Guzmán (12 April 2011). "Sorprendida y molesta Maripily". El Nuevo Dia. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- Rosario, Frances (21 April 2011). "Le roban a Maripily". El Nuoevo Dia. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Pillos usaron piedra para entrar a Boutique de Maripily en Guaynabo". Primera Hora. 10 September 2010. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "pompis – Diccionario Inglés–Español". WordReference.com. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- Fridmann, Mandy (8 June 2012). "Maripily nos modela su línea de trajes de baño". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Detrás de los pasos de las estrellas de La Gira de Mira Quién Baila". Entretenimiento. Univision. 15 February 2013. Archived from the original on 7 January 2014. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- Fotos Maripily Irreconocible para la promocion de su perfume. En El Brasero. 24 July 2013. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Maripily and Roberto Alomar divorce has Puerto Rico riveted. Colleen Jenkins. Tampa Bay Times. 4 September 2010. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- Maripily Rivera se casa en mayo del 2014. Hola Ciudad. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Maripily y su prometido llegan a la Isla. El Nuevo Dia. Guaynabo, Puerto Rico. 28 December 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Muy afectada Maripily por la cancelación de su boda. Patricia Vargas Casiano. El Nuevo Dia. 13 May 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- Maripily Rivera Gets Back Together With Ex-Fiancé Albert Rodríguez! Oscar Lopez. Latin Times. 27 July 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- Albert Rodríguez le desea “paz y bien” a Maripily. Primera Hora. 1 December 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2014.