Marit Breivik as reading ambassador for Nord-Trøndelag county library
Credit: Inga Frøseth Rossing / Nord-Trøndelag fylkesbibliotek, 2013
10 April 1955 |
Marit Breivik (born 10 April 1955) is a former Norwegian team handball player, and former head coach for the Norwegian women's national handball team. As coach, she has led the team to victory in the 2008 Olympic tournament, the World Women's Handball Championship in 1999, and four European Women's Handball Championships, in 1998 (Netherlands), 2004 (Hungary), 2006 (Sweden) and 2008 (Macedonia).
Breivik has been coach for clubs such as Byåsen IL and Larvik HK, and from 1994 head coach for the Norwegian national female team. She is appointed at the Olympiatoppen where she is responsible coach for team sports. Among her achievements are one Olympic gold and one bronze medal, one World Championship win and two silver medals, three European Championship wins, two silver and one bronze medal.
Breivik is known for her calm, controlled coaching style, for solid knowledge and for constantly trying to develop the sport. As an example of the latter, Norway often swaps the goalkeeper for an extra player in five-to-six penalty play, in order to be able to keep up a normal attack (at the expense of greatly increased vulnerability during a counter-attack if the ball should be lost).
In January 2009 Breivik announced that she had decided to step down as national coach after 15 years on the job.
- Olympic Games
- 1996: 4th
- 2000: 3rd
- 2004: did not qualify
- 2008: 1st
- World Championships
- 1995: 4th
- 1997: 2nd
- 1999: 1st
- 2001: 2nd
- 2003: 6th
- 2005: 9th
- 2007: 2nd
- European Championships
- 1994: 3rd
- 1996: 2nd
- 1998: 1st
- 2000: 6th
- 2002: 2nd
- 2004: 1st
- 2006: 1st
- 2008: 1st
Awards and recognitions
Breivik was married to the former secretary general of the Norwegian Handball Federation, Niels Hertzberg. Hertzberg died during a holiday in Brazil on 2 March 2013, at age 72. The couple had no children, although her husband had a child from a previous marriage.
- "Expert Column: Marit Breivik on the CL final – part 3". 2006/2007 EHF Women's Champions League. Retrieved 16 December 2007.
- Norwegian News Agency (30 November 2007). "Fakta om Marit Breivik" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 16 December 2007.
- Lorentzen, Ludvig (6 December 2003). "Storesøster med baller". Bergens Tidende (in Norwegian). Archived from the original on 19 December 2003. Retrieved 16 December 2008.
- Bugge, Mette (5 September 2008). "40 år og fortsatt full fart". Aftenposten (in Norwegian). p. 20.
- "Olympiatoppen – Fagansvarlige Coaching" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 16 December 2007.
- "Håndballjentenes plasseringer i mesterskap" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Handball Federation. Retrieved 16 December 2007.
- "Handball coach Breivik steps down". The Norway Post. Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation & Aftenposten. 27 January 2009. Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- "Utnevnelse til St. Olavs Orden" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 6 June 2010.
- "Niels Hertzberg er død". NRK (in Norwegian). Norwegian News Agency. 2 March 2013. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
|Norway women's national handball team head coach
1994 – 2009