|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2008)|
Liulia studied literature and political history at Helsinki University (B.A. 1986) and visual arts at the University of Art and Design in Helsinki. Her artistic career started in the theatre and she worked with various visual art forms in the 1980s.
She extended her work to include digital and interactive media in 1991 with Jackpot, a CD-ROM on the world of advertisements. Maire, a study of modernism released in 1994, was one of the first artworks to be published in CD-ROM format. Ambitious Bitch, a CD-ROM about femininity (1996), marked her international breakthrough. SOB (Son of a Bitch), a CD-ROM about men and masculinity, followed in 1999. Marita Liulia Tarot was published in six different formats and ten languages in 2000-2004. Marita Liulia's recent project, Choosing My Religion about the major religions of the world, had premiere in 2009 in Kiasma, Museum of Contemporary Art in Helsinki.
Marita Liulia founded publishing company Medeia in 1997 and Prix Möbius Nordica in 2000.
- Self Portraits 1980-90, from Schjerfbeck to video grate, exhibition, multiple formats, 1990
- Religion and Prostitution, exhibition, paintings, 1991
- Jackpot, an interactive installation, 1991
- Maire, an interactive CD ROM and an installation, 1994
- Ambitious Bitch, an interactive CD ROM, 1996
- SOB, an interactive CD ROM, 1999
- Marita Liulia Tarot, a touring museum exhibition, a book, a cards deck, a website, 2000-2004
- Choosing My Religion, a touring museum exhibition, a book, a website, 2009
- Golden Silence, exhibition, 2014
- Manipulator, with musician/composer Kimmo Pohjonen, 2001
- Hunt, with dancer/choreographer Tero Saarinen, 2002
- Animator, with Kimmo Pohjonen, 2004
- Time Perspective, with Valérie Gabail (soprano), Mikko Perkola (viola da gamba), 2008
- The Accordion Man, an animation film with Kimmo Pohjonen, 2009
- Gold Rush, with Thomas Xenakis, 2014
- Tarot, (In Finnish, English translation available) Marita Liulia and Tiina Porthan, The publishing house Teos, 2004, 2. edition 2009
- Choosing My Religion - uskontoja jäljittämässä, (in English and in Finnish) Marita Liulia, 2009, Maahenki
- "Marita Liulia/ Tarot - Hanged Man". Artdaily.com.
- "Choosing My Religion". Neimenster.lu.
- "Marita Liulia". Artnews.org.
- "Golden Silence". Helsinkidesignweek.com.
- Mark Jenkins (19 July 2014). "In the Galleries: Putting the ‘gold’ in ‘Gold Rush’". Washingtonpost.com.