Mariya Yaremchuk (2014)
Марія Назарівна Яремчук
|Birth name||Mariya Nazarivna Yaremchuk|
|Also known as||Maria Yaremchuk|
|Born||2 March 1993|
Mariya Nazarivna Yaremchuk (Ukrainian: Марія Назарівна Яремчук; born 2 March 1993), also transliterated as Maria Yaremchuk, is a Ukrainian singer. Yaremchuk represented Ukraine in the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 held in Copenhagen, Denmark. She finished the 6th in the grand final out of 26 countries.
Yaremchuk was born in Chernivtsi and is the daughter of people's Artist of Ukraine and singer, musician Nazariy Yaremchuk. Yaremchuk's father died of stomach cancer when she was two years old. Yaremchuk has an older half-sister Vera from her mother's first marriage and two brothers by her father's side, Dmytro and Nazariy.
Yaremchuk considers herself an apolitical person, but in December 2013 she declared that she "in the elections and in general, morally, and as a singer" supported (the political party) Party of Regions.[nb 1]
2012: Holos Krayiny and New Wave 2012
Yaremchuk was a finalist of the TV project Holos Krayiny. She reached fourth place. In 2012 she represented Ukraine at the international contest of young singers "New Wave 2012", where she came in third. Yaremchuk was sponsored by Rinat Akhmetov during this festival. Akhmetov is friends with, one of the organizers of "New Wave", Igor Krutoy. Mariya also participated in Evrobachennya 2013 - Natsionalyni vidbir, the national final used for finding Ukraine's representative in the Eurovision Song Contest, where Mariya came fifth with the song "Imagine".
2013–present: Eurovision Song Contest 2014
On 21 December 2013, Yaremchuk won the Ukrainian national final for the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 with her song "Tick-Tock". On 06.05.2014 was held the first semi-final of the Eurovision Song Contest and Mariya qualified in the grand final. In the grand final she finished the 6th out of 26 countries.
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"So mnoy opyat'"
(Со мной опять)
|"Tebe ya znaydu"
(Тебе я знайду)
|"Ty v meni e"
(Ти в мені є)
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart.|
- Maria Yaremchuk to represent Ukraine at Eurovision Song Contest 2014, Interfax-Ukraine (21 December 2013)
- http://gaganews.com.ua/Artist/Biography/506[permanent dead link]
- (in Ukrainian) Марія Яремчук пояснила, що підтримує регіоналів, бо дуже молода й аполітична Maria Yaremchuk explained Party of Regions for very young and apolitical person, 24 News (22 December 2013)
(in Russian) Мария Яремчук вызвалась поддержать политическую партию Maria Yaremchuk volunteered to support a political party, TSN.ua (21 December 2013)
- (in Russian) Мария Яремчук съездила на «Новую волну» на деньги Ахметова Maria Yaremchuk on "New Wave" because of money of Akhmetov, Glavkom (29 July 2012)
- WikiLeaks: Nation’s businessmen tell tales on each other in chats with US ambassadors, Kyiv Post (15 September 2011)
- Understanding Ukrainian Politics: Power, Politics, and Institutional Design by Paul D'Anieri, M. E. Sharpe, 2006, ISBN 978-0-7656-1811-5 (page 170)
- Promoting Party Politics in Emerging Democracies, Routledge, 2011, ISBN 0415594235
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-24. Retrieved 2013-12-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Peak positions in the United Kingdom:
- For "Tick-Tock": "CHART: CLUK Update 24.05.2014 (wk20)". Zobbel.de.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mariya Yaremchuk.|
| Ukraine in the Eurovision Song Contest