||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Marjorie Yang Mun-tak|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Harvard School of Business
|Net worth||$1 billion|
|Spouse(s)||Dickson Poon (div.)|
Marjorie Yang Mun-tak (Traditional Chinese: 楊敏德), GBS (2013), is Chairman of Esquel Group, a leading Hong Kong-based textile and apparel manufacturer with operations throughout the world, producing over 110 million cotton shirts every year for well-acclaimed brands and retailers such as Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Hugo Boss, Nike and Marks and Spencer.
Marjorie Yang has been Chairman of Esquel Group since 1995. From 2008 to 2014, Marjorie Yang oversaw a rapid expansion of the family business she inherited, more than doubling its revenue to US$1.4 billion.
In China, Marjorie has been a Member of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference since 2003. In Hong Kong, she is Chairman of the Hong Kong-United States Business Council, Chairperson of the Government's Advisory Committee on Admission of Quality Migrants and Professionals as well as a member of the Government's Commission on Strategic Development. In addition, Marjorie serves as Deputy Chairman of the Seoul International Business Advisory Council.
Marjorie Yang is a Member of the various advisory boards at:
- MIT Corporation
- Chairman of the Council of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Harvard University
- Harvard Business School
- MIT Sloan School of Management
- Tsinghua University School of Economics and Management
- China Europe International Business School
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Antai College of Economics & Management
- Honorary Trustee at Lingnan College of Sun Yat-sen University
- Honorary Member of the Court of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Philanthropy and environmental conservation
Her Esquel-Y.L. Yang Education Foundation has been funding the building or renovation of more than 20 schools. The Esquel Group has provided microfinance to 300 rural households in China's unrest-ridden Xinjiang region, where the privately held company has cotton farming, ginning and spinning operations. The Foundation is geared mostly towards improving the standards of teaching, encouraging education and learning, and enhancing health and public hygiene for Uyghur minority students in areas outside the regional capital, Ürümqi.
Long an advocate for environmental conservation and sustainable production, Marjorie also chairs the Shan Shui Conservation Center and holds membership in the Advisory Council of Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) in China.
Recent honours and awards
- Top 50 Most Powerful Women in Business by Fortune Magazine (2000, 2004, 2005 and 2009)
- The Bronze Beaver Award by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Alumni Association (2011)
- 48 Heroes of Philanthropy (2012)
- Asia's 50 Power Businesswomen by Forbes (2012)
- Diamond Award by Hong Kong Tatler (2013)
- Gold Bauhinia Star (GBS) by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government (2013)
- Forbes "Hong Kong's 40 Richest – #37 Yang Family", Forbes, 2012
- "Christie's Advisory Board Members", Christie's, 2014
- "MIT Corporation elects new members", Massachusetts News, January 2015
- "Marjorie Yang Appointed as Council Chairman of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University", PolyU, November 2009
- "CEIBS International Advisory Board", CEIBS, 2014
- 2011 Bronze Beaver Award recipients, MIT Alumni Association, June 2011
- 48 Heroes of Philanthropy, Forbes Asia, June 2012
- Asia's 50 Power Businesswomen, Forbes, February 2012
- Hong Kong Tatler Ball 2013: Award Recipients, Hong Kong Tatler, September 2013
- 2013 Honours List, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government, July 2013