Mark A. Milley
|Born||June 18, 1958|
Winchester, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Service/||United States Army|
|Years of service||1980–present|
|Commands held||Chief of Staff of the United States Army|
United States Army Forces Command
International Security Assistance Force Joint Command
10th Mountain Division
2nd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (Light)
|Battles/wars||United States invasion of Panama|
Operation Uphold Democracy
Operation Joint Endeavor
• Operation Iraqi Freedom
Operation Enduring Freedom
• War in Afghanistan
|Awards||Defense Distinguished Service Medal|
Army Distinguished Service Medal (3)
Defense Superior Service Medal (3)
Legion of Merit (3)
Bronze Star (4)
Meritorious Service Medal (6)
Mark Alexander Milley (born June 20, 1958) is a four-star general in the United States Army and the 39th and current Chief of Staff of the Army. He previously served as the 21st commanding general of United States Army Forces Command from August 15, 2014 to August 9, 2015. As the Army Chief of Staff, Milley is the highest ranking officer in the United States Army.
Early life and education
Born in Winchester, Massachusetts, Milley attended the Belmont Hill School. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from Princeton University, a Master of Arts degree in international relations from Columbia University, and another Master of Arts degree in national security and security studies from the United States Naval War College. He is also a graduate of the MIT Center for International Studies Seminar XXI National Security Studies Program.
Prior to serving as the 39th Army Chief of Staff, Milley served as the Commanding General of United States Army Forces Command, based at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. He served as the Commanding General of III Corps, based at Fort Hood, Texas. Prior to III Corps, he served as the Commander of the 10th Mountain Division from November 2011 to December 2012. He has also served as Deputy Commanding General (Operations), 101st Airborne Division from July 2007 to April 2008 and; Commander, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (Light) from December 2003 to July 2005. Additionally, Milley has served in the 82nd Airborne Division, the 5th Special Forces Group, the 7th Infantry Division, the 2nd Infantry Division, the Joint Readiness Training Center, the 25th Infantry Division, Operations Staff of the Joint Staff, and as a Military Assistant to the Secretary of Defense in the Pentagon. He assumed his current assignment on August 14, 2015.
In November 2000, Milley participated in the 2nd Annual Army-Navy Ice Hockey Game in Honolulu, Hawaii, a charity event benefiting youth ice hockey players in the area.
Milley has had multiple operational deployments including:
- Multinational Force and Observers, Sinai, Egypt
- Operation Just Cause, Panama
- Operation Uphold Democracy, Haiti
- Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq
- Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan
Awards and decorations
- Gal Perl Finkel, President-elect Trump – the ‘West Wing’ lesson, The Jerusalem Post, November 15, 2016.
- Berkowitz, Bram (August 27, 2015). "Winchester Native Mark A. Milley Becomes U.S. Army Chief of Staff". Winchester Star. Winchester, MA.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-09-06. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- Art, Robert (September 1, 2015). "From the Director: September, 2015". MIT Seminar XXI. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Graham-Ashley, Heather (20 December 2012). "III Corps' new commander views road ahead, training, support". III Corps and Fort Hood Public Affairs. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- Michelle Tan, Staff writer (13 May 2015). "Gen. Mark Milley picked for Army chief of staff". Army Times.
- Block, Gordon (4 December 2012). "Fort Drum welcomes new 10th Mountain Division commander at ceremony". Watertown Daily Times. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- U.S. Army Forces Command, Commanding General Archived 2015-09-06 at the Wayback Machine., www.army.mil/forscom, dated 15 August 2014, last accessed 15 August 2015
- Michelle Tan, Staff writer (14 August 2015). "Milley takes over as new chief of staff; Odierno retires". Army Times.
- Army-Navy duel on ice
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mark A. Milley.|
- This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Army document "Lieutenant General Mark A. Milley".
- Appearances on C-SPAN
| Commanding General of the 10th Mountain Division
| Commanding General of III Corps
| Commanding General of ISAF-Joint Command
| Commanding General of United States Army Forces Command
Robert B. Abrams
Raymond T. Odierno
| Chief of Staff of the United States Army
|Order of precedence|
as Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
| Order of Precedence of the United States
as Chief of Staff of the Army
as Chief of Naval Operations