Mark A. Patterson
Mark A. Patterson
|Chief of Staff to the Secretary of the Treasury|
February 2009 – May 2015
|Succeeded by||Christian A. Weideman|
|Born||1961 or 1962 (age 56–57)|
New York City, United States
|Spouse(s)||Jennifer S. Leete|
|Alma mater||University at Albany|
The Catholic University of America
Mark A. Patterson is an American lobbyist, former Vice President and Managing Director of Goldman Sachs, and former Chief of Staff to the United States Secretary of the Treasury. In 2018, he was hired as general counsel for Senator Chuck Schumer, overseeing investigations and appropriations and leaving his position at law firm Perkins Coie.
Early life and education
Patterson was born in New York City. His mother was a librarian while his father was a high school English teacher. He graduated from the University at Albany in 1984 and was the Special Assistant of Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan from 1984 to 1988. He received his law degree from The Catholic University of America in 1990.
Patterson later served as Moynihan's Legislative Director (1993-1995), and as Democratic Staff Director and Chief Counsel of the Senate Finance Committee (1995-1999). From 1999 to 2004 Patterson was the Policy Director for Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle.
In 2004 Patterson became a lobbyist for Goldman Sachs, with the position of Vice President (2004-2007), and Managing Director (2007-2008). Patterson left Goldman Sachs in April 2008, after which he served as a volunteer for the Obama-Biden presidential campaign, and as the Senate Confirmation Coordinator for the Obama-Biden Presidential Transition Project. Upon the confirmation of Barack Obama as President, Patterson was in February 2009 appointed Chief of Staff to the Secretary of the Treasury. In 2013, the recently appointed Treasury Secretary Jack Lew announced Patterson's replacement as Treasury Chief of Staff. Patterson worked as a partner in Perkins Coie's Washington, D.C. office  before joining Senator Schumer's team in May 2018.
Patterson is married to Jennifer S. Leete, an Assistant Director in the Enforcement Division of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. He is a member of the bar of the District of Columbia and of the Supreme Court of the United States.
- "WEDDINGS/CELEBRATIONS; Jennifer Leete, Mark Patterson". New York Times. September 7, 2003.
- Dayen, David (May 9, 2018). "Why Did Chuck Schumer Hire an Ex–Goldman Sachs Lobbyist?". The Nation. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- "Mark Patterson". Washington Post. 25 July 2012. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "Mark A. Patterson". United States Department of the Treasury. Archived from the original on 2 November 2013. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- Rood, Justin; Schwartz, Emma (January 29, 2009). "Another Lobbyist Headed Into Obama Administration". ABC News. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- Lowrey, Annie (April 29, 2009). "Lew Names Chief of Staff at Treasury". The New York Times. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- "Mark Patterson, Partner". Perkins Coie. Retrieved 13 January 2016.