Mark Andrew Smith
|Mark Andrew Smith|
Early life and education
Out of college, Smith's first job was as a production assistant on season one of American Idol. His first break into the comic book world didn't come until 2004 when Smith and Dan Hipp were noticed by Image Comics. Image Comics would go on to publish their work, The Amazing Joy Buzzards. Smith is also the co-creator and editor of the Popgun Comics anthology.
Smith wrote the original graphic novel Aqua Leung, published in April 2008. Aqua Leung was nominated for a Yalsa award for best graphic novel for teens. Also in 2008 Smith wrote Kill All Parents, a 38 page one shot about superheroes whose parents are killed by a secret government program, drawn by Marcelo Di Chiara, also for Image Comics.
In 2009 Smith released The New Brighton Archeological Society stemming from a series of short stories in Popgun with artist Matthew Weldon. The New Brighton Archeological Society follows a group of children whose parents are the greatest archeologists in the world. When their parents are lost on an expedition, the children must finish their parents' work, collect the books of magic, and defeat their parents' nemesis. The New Brighton Archeological Society was selected as "Best All-Ages Comic" of 2009 by MTV Splash Page. The New Brighton Archeological Society received two Harvey Award Nominations in 2010.
Smith has been published in a number of anthologies such as the Belle & Sebastian Anthology, 24Seven Vol. 1, Space Doubles, Paper Museum Vol. 3, and Popgun.
2011 saw the release of Smith's Gladstone's School for World Conquerors with artist Armand Villavert which centers on a super-villain academy.
Smith released Sullivan's Sluggers, a baseball horror graphic novel drawn by James Stokoe, in 2012.
Smith's next projects are Gladstone's School for World Conquerors Books 2 and 3, and New Brighton Archeological Society Book 2, to be released in 2015.
Honors and awards
Comics writing work includes:
- Gladstone's School for World Conquerors Book One (with Armand Villavert, Image Comics, 2011)
- The Amazing Joy Buzzards Volume One "Here Come the Spiders" (with Dan Hipp, Image Comics, 2006)
- The Amazing Joy Buzzards Volume Two "Monster Love" (with Dan Hipp, Image Comics, 2009)
- The New Brighton Archeological Society (with Matthew Weldon, Image Comics, 2009)
- Aqua Leung (with Paul Maybury, graphic novel, 208 pages, Image Comics, April 2008)
- Kill All Parents (with Marcelo Dichiara, one-shot, Image Comics, June 2008)
- Popgun: "The Amazing Joy Buzzards in the Fearless Vampire Hunters" (with Dan Hipp, Image Comics, 2007)
- Popgun: "The New Brighton Archeological Society: "Introduction", "The Bath", "Souls in a Jar" (with Matthew Weldon, Image Comics, 2007)
- Popgun: "Rex Onazuka: The Sons of Liberty" (with Johann Leroux, Image Comics, 2007)
- Popgun 3: "Rex Onazuka: The Godfather of Monsters" (with Johann Leroux, Image Comics, 2009)
- Popgun 4: "Bullets for the Poor" (with David Collinson, Image Comics, 2010)
- Low Orbit: "Little Medusa's Big Day Out" (with Kevin Dalton, Image Comics, 2006)
- Low Orbit: "Bastion's 7" (with Sean Galloway, Image Comics, 2006)
- Space Doubles: "Escape Pod" (with Matthew Hyun, 3rd World Studios, 2008)
- Image Comics Holiday Special 2005: "The Amazing Joy Buzzards and the Christmas Troll" (with Dan Hipp, Image Comics, 2005)
- Paper Museum Volume Three "The Devil in the Gears" (with Jim Pezzetti, Jungleboy Press, 2006)
- Zowie! Volume Two "The Grenade Jumper" (with Ed Reynolds, Zowie Comics, 2006)
- 24seven: "Things Run Amuck" (with Paul Maybury, Image Comics, 2006)
- Popgun: "Aqua Leung, Ambush" (with Paul Maybury, Image Comics, 2007)
- Put the Book Back on the Shelf: A Belle & Sebastian Anthology: "Ninja No!" (with Paul Maybury, Image Comics, 2006)
- Volume One (with Joe Keatinge, Image Comics, November 2007)
- Volume Two (with Joe Keatinge, Image Comics, July 2008)
- Volume Three (with DJ Kirkbride, Image Comics, April 2009)
- Volume Four (Executive Editor, Image Comics, February 2010)
- James, Thea (March 25, 2010). "Guest Author: Mark Andrew Smith on Inspirations and Influences". TheBookSmugglers.com. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- "Profile—Mark Andrew Smith, '02". Coastlines. Winter 2011. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- "Mark Andrew Smith". filmandmedia.ucsb.edu. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- "Aqua Leung," My Friend, Comic Book Resources, March 3, 2008
- Mark Andrew Smith on Aqua Leung, Newsarama, April 10, 2008
- Mark Andrew Smith on Kill All Parents, Newsarama, April 29, 2008
- Mark Andrew Smith Plans to "Kill All Parents", Comic Book Resources, April 30, 2008
- Smith on New Brighton Archaeological Society, Newsarama, October 22, 2008
- Smith & Weldon Dig Up New Brighton Archeological Society, Comic Book Resources, October 23, 2008
- MacDonald, Heidi (September 28, 2008). "2008 Harvey Award winners". ComicsBeat.com. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- "Your 2010 Eisner Award Winners". ComicsReporter.com. July 24, 2010. Retrieved June 14, 2016.