Mark Anthony Fernandez
|Mark Anthony Fernandez|
|Born||Mark Anthony Lacsamana Fernandez
January 18, 1979
|Occupation||Actor and Model|
|Relatives||Vandolph Quizon (half-brother)
Raphael Fernandez (half-brother)
Renz Fernandez (half-brother)
Winwyn Marquez (half-sister)
Grae Fernandez (son)
His breakout roles in the movies includes Pare Ko, Mangarap Ka and Matimbang Pa sa Dugo which featured him as a lead star. In 1996, he received Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor nominations for the 3 aforementioned movies he did. However, the year 1998 started a downward spiral in Fernandez's career and personal life following an assault case that was filed against him by an American socialite and the break-up with his then-girlfriend Claudine Barretto. His home studio Regal Films attempted to launch him as an action star in the movies Sonny Segovia: Lumakad Ka Sa Apoy and Walang Katumbas Ang Dugo but both movies flopped at the box-office.
After a two-year hiatus from a drug rehabilitation which follows his acquittal in the assault case, Fernandez returned in the movie scene via Biyaheng Langit and Dos Ekis opposite sexy actresses Joyce Jimenez and Rica Peralejo, respectively. He also made a TV comeback via GMA drama series Ikaw Lang Ang Mamahalin opposite Angelika dela Cruz.
In 2003, he had disappeared once again from the industry and underwent rehabilitation for drug dependence for the second time. In 2005, he was released from rehab and made his comeback in show business. After his release in rehab, he said in his words, "I hope the moviegoers will welcome me back. Now, I realize more than ever that I'm made for showbiz and I'll always be in showbiz."
He has been one of GMA-7's leading actors with his critically acclaimed performances on TV series such as Impostora (2007), Kamandag (2007–08), Ako si Kim Samsoon (2008), Luna Mystika (2008–09), All About Eve (2009) and Munting Heredera. He also portrayed Manny Pacquiao in Magpakailanman in 2003 before his second drug rehab.
His role as Nicolas Cayetano is the drama series Impostora became his most notable role in TV & the said drama also relaunched his career making him one of the sought-after leading men in GMA-7 & because of the fruitful projects given to him by GMA, he decided to sign an exclusive contract with the network that rebuilt his career. He was paired off with Sunshine Dizon (Impostora), Heart Evangelista (Luna Mystika), Iza Calzado (All About Eve), Marian Rivera (Darna) and Regine Velasquez (Ako si Kim Sam Soon and recently in Diva, 2010).
He also hosted a kids documentary reality show Kap's Amazing Stories Kids Edition last April 2010 on Channel 7.
On 3 October 2016, Fernandez was arrested for marijuana possession after an attempt slipping past at a police checkpoint in Angeles, Pampanga. He has stated he smokes marijuana "to prevent cancer."
|2013||Boy Golden: Shoot to Kill, the Arturo Porcuna Story|
|2009||Shake, Rattle & Roll XI||Father Ronnie (segment "Diablo")||Regal Entertainment|
|2005||Shake, Rattle & Roll 2k5||Rene (segment "Lihim ng San Joaquin")||Regal Entertainment|
- Sa Piling ng Mga Belyas (2003)
- You and Me Against the World (2003)
- Hesus Rebolusyonaryo (2002)
- Dos Ekis (2001)
- Biyaheng Langit (2000)
- Walang Katumbas Ang Dugo (1998)
- Sonny Segovia: Lumakad Ka Sa Apoy (1998)
- Ako Ba Ang Nasa Puso Mo (1997)
- Kulayan Natin Ang Bukas (1997)
- Kabilin-bilinan Ng Lola (1996)
- Istokwa (1996)
- Mangarap Ka (1995)
- Araw-araw, Gabi-gabi (1995)
- Eskapo: The Serge Osmeña-Geny Lopez Story (1995)
- Matimbang Pa Sa Dugo (1995)
- Pare Ko (1994)
- Sobrang Talaga... Over!! (1994)
- Binibini ng Aking Panaginip (1994)
- Gwapings Dos (1993)
- Shotgun Banjo (1992)
- Gwapings: The First Adventure (1992)
- Onyong Majikero (1991)
Awards and nominations
|Year||Award-Giving Body||Category||Nominated work||Result||Source|
|2008||22nd PMPC Star Awards for TV||Best Drama Actor||Impostora||Nominated|
- Pumaloy, Rey (June 28, 2014). "PEP EXCLUSIVE. Winwyn Marquez confirms separation of Mark Anthony Fernandez and wife Melissa". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved October 5, 2016.
- Regondola, Glenn (August 3, 2015). "Mark Anthony Fernandez says son Grae is mature enough to understand his separation from wife Melissa". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved October 5, 2016.
- Mark Anthony Fernandez Separates From His Wife Melissa Garcia — Pinoy Stop
- "Mark Anthony Fernandez arrested for illegal drugs". ABS-CBN Corporation. October 3, 2016. Retrieved October 4, 2016.
- Bartolome, Jessica (October 4, 2016). "Mark Anthony: I only smoke marijuana to prevent cancer". GMA News. Retrieved October 5, 2016.