This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||1967 (age 50–51)
Dundee, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Strathclyde University
Early life and education
Blyth grew up in Dundee, Scotland and was raised by his grandmother after his mother died shortly after child birth. He received a BA in Political Science from Strathclyde University in 1990 and a PhD in political science from Columbia University in 1999.
He is best known for his critique of austerity, Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea, described by Salon and AlterNet as "necessary reading" and as simultaneously functioning as an economics explainer, a polemic, and a history book offering "insight into austerity’s lineage, its theories, its champions and its failures." Blyth characterized the argument advanced by austerity advocates as "a canard" and "complete horseshit."
|2002||Great Transformations: Economic Ideas and Institutional Change in the Twentieth Century||Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.|
|2012||Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea||Oxford: Oxford University Press|
|2015||The Future of The Euro: Edited by Matthias Matthijs and Mark Blyth||Oxford: Oxford University Press|
- "Mark Blyth - Understanding the rise of populist politics in the West". Mark Blyth - Understanding the rise of populist politics in the West. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Blyth, Mark". vivo.brown.edu.
- Austerity Is 'Complete Horsesh*t': Ivy League Prof Dismantles the Conservative Lie (Feb. 2015), Salon.com and AlterNet. "Mark Blyth's new book explains the damaging consequences of austerity in Europe and the U.S."
- Blyth, Mark; Blyth, Mark (15 November 2016). "Global Trumpism" – via www.foreignaffairs.com.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkm2Vfj42FY |accessdate=16 Dec 2017
- Chris Hedges’ ‘On Contact’: The Cost of Austerity, With Economist Mark Blyth. Truthdig. 12 September 2016.