October 24, 1981 |
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||75.0 in (191 cm)|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Joao Roque
Black belt in Kempo Karate
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Mark Andrew Bocek (Czech: Boček; born October 24, 1981) is a Canadian former mixed martial artist who competed in the Lightweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional competitor for ten years from 2004 to 2014, Bocek has also formerly competed for King of the Cage. His surname pronounced as "baw-chek".
Mixed martial arts career
Bocek holds a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and has been studying the art for two decades. He first studied under Rickson and Renzo Gracie and then moved on to Nova Uniao, where he received his black belt through Joao Roque in December 2003, making him the first Canadian-born black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Bocek currently trains in BJJ with Marcelo Garcia and also holds a black belt in Kempo Karate.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
He fought against Alvin Robinson at UFC 91 on November 16, 2008 and won by submission. His next fight was against David Bielkheden at UFC 97, where he dominated Bielkheden and submitted him by rear naked choke in the first round.
He was expected to face Matt Veach on December 5, 2009 at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale until Veach stepped up to fight Frank Edgar as Kurt Pellegrino's replacement. Bocek then fought UFC newcomer Joe Brammer on the same card. He defeated Brammer via first round submission.
Bocek lost a unanimous decision in a close fight to Jim Miller on March 27, 2010 at UFC 111. Despite controlling Miller's position throughout most of the contest and taking him down on multiple occasions, all three judges scored the fight 29-28 for Miller.
Bocek was expected to face Matt Wiman on April 21, 2012 at UFC 145. However, Wiman was forced from the bout with an injury and was replaced by returning UFC veteran John Alessio. He won via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27).
Bocek was expected to face Evan Dunham on April 16, 2014 at The Ultimate Fighter: Nations Finale. However, Dunham pulled out of the bout in the week leading up to the event with an undiscosed injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Mike De La Torre. Bocek won the fight via split decision.
On August 5, 2014, Bocek announced his retirement from mixed martial arts competition via Twitter.
Championships and achievements
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|17 matches||12 wins||5 losses|
|Win||12–5||Mike De La Torre||Decision (split)||The Ultimate Fighter Nations Finale: Bisping vs. Kennedy||April 16, 2014||3||5:00||Quebec City, Quebec, Canada|
|Loss||11–5||Rafael dos Anjos||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 154||November 17, 2012||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||11–4||John Alessio||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 145||April 21, 2012||3||5:00||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||10–4||Nik Lentz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 140||December 10, 2011||3||5:00||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Loss||9–4||Benson Henderson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 129||April 30, 2011||3||5:00||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||9–3||Dustin Hazelett||Submission (triangle choke/armbar)||UFC 124||December 11, 2010||1||2:33||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Submission of the Night.|
|Loss||8–3||Jim Miller||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 111||March 27, 2010||3||5:00||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||8–2||Joe Brammer||Submission (standing rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights Finale||December 5, 2009||1||3:36||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||7–2||David Bielkheden||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 97||April 18, 2009||1||4:57||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||6–2||Alvin Robinson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 91||November 15, 2008||3||3:16||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||5–2||Mac Danzig||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 83||April 19, 2008||3||3:48||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||5–1||Doug Evans||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 79||December 29, 2007||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||4–1||Frankie Edgar||TKO (punches)||UFC 73||July 7, 2007||1||4:55||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Garret Davis||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Capital Chaos||March 28, 2007||1||2:35||Hull, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||3–0||John Mahlow||Submission (armbar)||KOTC: Freedom Fight||January 20, 2007||1||4:09||Gatineau, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||2–0||Kevin Manderson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||APEX: A Night Of Champions||October 14, 2006||1||1:25||Gatineau, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||1–0||Mark Colangelo||TKO (injury)||TKO 15: Unstoppable||February 28, 2004||1||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
- "Fight Card - TUF Nations Finale Bisping vs. Kennedy". UFC.com. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "Mark Bocek". Tapology.
- "Mark Bocek and Alvin Robinson Agree to UFC 91 Bout; Kongo/Al-Turk Likely for UFC 92". Bloody Elbow.
- "Mark Bocek". UFC.
- "Mark Bocek meets UFC newcomer Joe Brammer at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale". MMAJunkie.com. 2009-10-31. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- John Morgan. "Mark Bocek vs. Jim Miller targeted for March's UFC 111 in New Jersey".
- "HAZELETT VS. BOCEK ADDED TO UFC 124". mmaweekly.com. 2010-09-15.
- "Ben Henderson vs. Mark Bocek targeted for UFC 129 in Toronto". mmajunkie.com. January 3, 2011.
- "Nik Lentz vs Mark Bocek fight slated for Dec. 10 in Toronto". mmamania.com. 2011-09-12.
- "UFC 145; seven bouts shift to Atlanta". mmajunkie.com. January 20, 2012.
- "John Alessio returning to octagon, replaces Matt Wiman at UFC 145". mmmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "Mark Bocek vs. Rafael dos Anjos added to UFC 154 in Montreal". mmajunkie.com. August 23, 2012.
- Keith Grienke (2013-07-03). "Bocek and Prazeres Look to Right Ship at UFC 165". TopMMANews.com. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- Staff (2013-08-22). "Newcomer Jesse Ronson in for injured Mark Bocek vs. Michel Prazeres at UFC 165". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- Keith Grienke (2014-01-30). "Bocek to Face Dunham at TUF Finale in Quebec". TopMMANews.com. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- Jesse Holland (2014-04-08). "Mark Bocek Draws Mike De La Torre For TUF Nations Finale With Evan Dunham Hurt". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- MMAjunkie Staff (August 6, 2014). "UFC vet Mark Bocek announces MMA retirement". mmajunkie.com.
- "Marpo v UFC ?!? - RingNews.cz".
- "Marpo - Jsem rád že takovýhle lidi poslouchaj mojí hudbu!... - Facebook".