Mark Bostick Golf Course
|Location||Gainesville, Florida, USA|
|Type||Public / University|
|Owned by||University of Florida|
|Operated by||University Athletic Association|
Lady Gator Invitational
Gator Golf Day Pro-Am
Donald Ross, 1921|
Bobby Weed, 2001
The Mark Bostick Golf Course at the University of Florida, located in Gainesville, Florida, is the home course of the Florida Gators men's golf and Florida Gators women's golf teams. The course is owned by the university and operated by the University Athletic Association (UAA).
The Bostick Golf Course is located on 118 acres (0.48 km2) of softly rolling terrain on the northwest corner of the university campus, adjoining S.W. 34th Street and S.W. 2nd Avenue, and less than a mile from the central undergraduate campus. It is heavily lined with trees, and includes over 140 bunkers. The facilities include the Guy Bostick Club House, and a dedicated practice area for the Gators men's and women's golf teams. The course is named for Mark Bostick, president of Comcar Industries and a generous donor to the Florida Gators athletics program.
The course was formerly the home of the Gainesville Country Club, and was acquired by the university in 1963. Noted Scottish golfer and golf course architect Donald Ross designed the course in 1921, when it was originally owned and operated by the country club. In 2001, golf course architect Bobby Weed renovated the facility, with $4 million in private donations. As part of the renovation, the course length was stretched by 500 yards, to a total length just over 6,700 yards, and re-rated as a par 70. MacCurrach Golf Construction, Inc. was the primary construction contractor. When completed in November 2001, the University Athletic Association celebrated the occasion with "Gator Golf Day," an alumni golf event that included former Gator golf greats.
The Mark Bostick Golf Course hosts the annual Gator Invitational and Lady Gator Invitational tournaments, as well as the annual Gator Golf Day alumni event. The course has also served as the site for the NCAA Regional tournament on several occasions, including 2009. The club house has served a faculty club meeting place, and a venue for student organization events.
The par and yardage shown are from the orange tees, which may be played only with permission from the course management. Players can play from the shorter blue, white or red (ladies) tees without course permission.
The Mark Bostick Golf Course is the home course for the Florida Gators men's and women's cross country teams.
- Emily Glaser
- Florida Gators
- Golf course
- List of University of Florida buildings
- University Athletic Association
- The Mark Bostick Golf Course at the University of Florida, Course Information. Retrieved September 22, 2009.
- John Garrity, "Look Out Below! There's more to the upcoming renovation at Florida than meets the eye," Sports Illustrated (February 12, 2001). Retrieved August 4, 2009.
- Donald Ross Society, University of Florida Golf Club. Retrieved August 5, 2009.
- John Garrity, "Taking A Stand: Stretched to the max, the Florida layout highlights the divide within the golf industry," Sports Illustrated (October 1, 2001). Retrieved August 4, 2009.
- John Garrity, "Damage Control: Swamped by a freak storm, the Florida project suffers a setback but not a disaster," Sports Illustrated (October 8, 2001). Retrieved August 4, 2009.
- John Garrity, "Ain't She A Beaut! After 14 months and $4 million, the newly renovated Florida course opened to rave reviews," Sports Illustrated (December 10, 2001). Retrieved August 4, 2009.
- Gatorzone.com, Men's Golf, "UF hosts 32nd Annual SunTrust Gator Invitational this weekend" (February 13, 2009). Retrieved August 8, 2009.
- "No. 5 Florida, Chudy win Lady Gator," Golf Week (February 24, 2008).
- University of Florida Golf Course, 40th Annual Gator Golf Day. Retrieved August 8, 2009.
- Kevin Brockway, "UF women set to host regional golf," Gainesville Sun (May 6, 2009). Retrieved August 8, 2009.
- "Mark Bostic Golf Course cross country". floridagators.com. Retrieved 2018-08-29.
- GatorSports.com – Gators sports page of the Gainesville Sun.
- Gatorzone.com – Official website of the Florida Gators.
- Mark Bostick Golf Course at the University of Florida – Official website of the Mark Bostick Golf Course.
- University Athletic Association – Official website of the University Athletic Association.
- University of Florida – Official website of the University of Florida.